Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

Time for a new rifle.

I was thinking about getting a new rifle and have decided to go with a 7mm remington magnum. But dont know what rifle brand to get! So i thought by having opinions from you guys would make it easier on deciding. I have narrowed my decisions down to a howa m1500 hogue, remington 700 sps, weatherby synthetic vanguard, and or a tikka t3 (but didnt really like it due to having plastic parts). my price range is $400 to $550. According to what you guys have experienced what is the best rifle for the money.

if your set on the 7mm you may look into the 7mm ultra mag by REM

i think you can get a REM CDL for around 550 very nice gun

If you can get the Tikka T3 in that price range, do that! I have a 270 WSM in the T3 lite and absolutely love it. In fact my brother-in-law just picked up the 300 WSM in the T3 as well. Have fun.

I would get the Savage 114 Classic. JMO. I love the accutrigger and have yet to shoot a Savage that wasn't accurate out of the box. Plus I love the look of guns with wooden stocks.

Actually about $100 higher than what you are looking to pay, but a very nice rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142615072

I was thinking about getting a new rifle and have decided to go with a 7mm remington magnum. But dont know what rifle brand to get! So i thought by having opinions from you guys would make it easier on deciding. I have narrowed my decisions down to a howa m1500 hogue, remington 700 sps, weatherby synthetic vanguard, and or a tikka t3 (but didnt really like it due to having plastic parts). my price range is $400 to $550. According to what you guys have experienced what is the best rifle for the money.

I can't recommend a brand, but I can commend you on your choice of calibers. I've taken maybe 50-60 head of big game on six continents with mine, and it has served me well for the past 20 or so years. I guess you could call it a "custom" rifle, although it's not very pretty. I started with a barreled commercial Czech Mauser action, built its stock from a chunk of walnut we cut in Texas, and installed a better trigger and safety. I have used 140- and 175-grain Nosler Partition handloads for everything from 10-pound grysbok and 35-pound javelinas to red stags, elk, moose and eland. It's not my most accurate rifle, but it consistently shoots minute-of-deer, which is all I require.

Bill Quimby

I have always been a fan of 700's, an SPS isnt a bad place to start, thats what I started with on my 300RUM. It doesnt have any fancy wood or special colored forend tip =), but I put on a good trigger, really good muzzle break, the best glass I could afford on it with talley rings/bases. I worked up a load it likes and it shoots better than I could have hoped if i do my part. On a side not I didnt want anything real nice for my go to long range hunting rifle. I got it to use it, and I have.

If you can get the Tikka T3 in that price range, do that! I have a 270 WSM in the T3 lite and absolutely love it. In fact my brother-in-law just picked up the 300 WSM in the T3 as well. Have fun.

+1

If you ever thought you would want to customize it you should go with sps. It is very easy to find parts and to work on. That being said I got my 300 RUM sps and it shot .75 inch groups with factory corelokts. A friends shot .5 inch with handloads.

I have since added a few things to get it to shoot better and I love the remington action.

my .02

Winchester's new Model 70 is pretty slick. Nice trigger. Nice stock.

Savage with the new Accustock and Accutrigger is a great value. Easier to customize than a Rem 700 too.

Sako has a neat new rifle too. S7 I think it's called.

Those sako A7, I forgot about em till DB said something about em, look real neat. Supposedly 5 shot MOA! I think they are pretty reasonable. If I remember right they are a 24" tube.

Savage with the new Accustock and Accutrigger is a great value. Easier to customize than a Rem 700 too.

yeah but its a savage :)

I grew up hearing nothing good about savage and have a hard time looking at one. I agree they seem to have gotten their stuff together the last few years.

I love my 700, It's a older BDL

And with trigger work, muzzle break

and a bedded laminate stock

it shoots better than I can.

I think you made the best choice in caliber

as noted in my signature line.

Here is a picture of my 7MM's

The 700 is the top one

post-1778-1255731128_thumb.jpg

That Vanguard is a good rifle and it has a target with a 3 shot group with each rifle. Those are pretty inexpensive at Walmart right now. If it was me that's what I'd get (based on the target in the box) and then put the best optics on it you can afford. I have it in 300 win and it's shooting sub MOA with factory ammo (same lot).

EBB

yeah but its a savage :)

I grew up hearing nothing good about savage and have a hard time looking at one. I agree they seem to have gotten their stuff together the last few years.

A lot of long range shooters are now building off the Savage action.

Good caliber choice, I have done well with mine over the years. I have a Weatherby Vanguard in a different caliber and it shoots very well. The gaurantee 1.5" cold barrel groups and send a target to prove it from the factory. Right now they have a promotion for $399. I don't think you can quit get it in your price range, but my 7Mag is in a Remington model 700 LSS and is a great shooter and sturdy rifle. I have mixed feelings on the SPS model, I have a different caliber in that and it isn't consistent, so my opinion is to avoid that.