Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

Frustrated with groups

What is your load, shoot, and clean procedure for your muzzleloader? There is a alot of cotroversy out there about this. My wife shoots a T/C encore 50 cal. We have tried lots of bullets through this gun and always end up with flyers. Had the trigger redone and the best we can do at 150 yards is 6-8 inch group. Often times with a flyer. We currently use 250 sabot with 2 pryrodex pellets. Are my expectations to high? I am a bowhunter with not much muzzleloader experience. Please help, she is great shot with high expectations of harvesting a nice coues in Unit 27 at the end of the month.

after years of very poor consistency with various muzzleloaders i am hopeful that i finally have something that works. always get 3 inch or less groups at 100 yds using 2 777 pellets and a 245gr powerbelt. just as good with the 295 gr but have not shot any 348's yet. i have an early CVA maghunter.

i do a full strip and clean with hot water asap.

lee

I'm no expert, but I just bought a T/C Encore this year for an antelope hunt and had excellent results with 260 grain Dead Centers over 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. They shot right at one inch at 100 yards and about 3 inches at 200 yards. Not to mention that clean up and loading a second shot is MUCH easier with the BH 209 powder.

Good luck!

You have to experiment with different bullets and powder charges. Has little to do with your cleaning procedure as long as you do clean it consistently

I always got the best results from dead center bullets too. 250-350 grains flew best. Anything lighter than 250 would not give good results for me.

Make sure you are seating the bullet against the pellets, but not so hard that you crush them.

1 tip that really helped my groups was when you are seating the sabot/bullet be sure to use the same amount of pressure each time. If you pack it hard, then do it every time. Consistency is the key. I myself seat the bullet lightly on the powder charge. IF you use sabots be sure to use good ones, I had used some of the cheaper ones when I 1st started, changing to the KNIGHT sabots changed my groups right away.

Ron

240 grain Hornady XTP .452 w/sabot

3-50 grain pellets of 777

wet patch between each shot

200 yard zero, 6 inches low at 300 yards

Austin and Halleck in-line with a Leupold 3-9 scope.

Until you get a grood group, I would stop using pellots and use loose powder. The reason being is that each gun is different, and you'll need to see what load works with the bullets you're using in the gun you have. As an example, I just recently got my T/C encore shooting consistently at 100 yards, 1 inch groups, 2-3 inches at 200 yards. In order to do this though, I had to drop my powder load from 100 grains to 95 grains, prior to doing that, my groups were 3-4 inches best case. I clean after 5 shots as a general rule. The load I worked up was Blackhorn 209 powder, 95 grains, and 250 grain Barns T-EZ, using federal 209 shotgun primers. I would strongly encourage you to go to loose powder, it'll take some time, but start from around 90 grains and progress up in 5 grain increments. Good Luck, you have a good gun, and it will shoot very accurrate, just need to spend the time with it.

Karl

I have been doing alot of research on muzzleloaders lately to get ready for my muley hunt in December. I found this website that sells videos that show you how to make your gun shoot better, etc. I think I am going to order a couple this week and see what they can do for me. David

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/products.html

I was having issues with my T/C Omega grouping.

Today I tried 250 gr T/C Shockwave with 95 gr Blackhorn powder, Remington Klenbore 209 primers. 3 inch groups at 100yds.

Started with 100 grains of Blackhorn, groups were 4-6 inches (which were not much differnt that the other sabots I tired), backed down the powder to 95 gr and groups got noticeably smaller. Also.... first day using bore butter and LOVE bore butter....so much easier to load. Swabbed with spit and dry patch every three shots.

May sound funny, but 5 grains less powder made all the difference for me.

Redman