The first year (2003) I went to unit 23 in NM. It seemed like there were lots of deer everywhere and we were seeing good ones (100 plus inchers) daily. I missed a good one and helped some buddies kill a 97 incher. I found a truckload of coues sheds and the camp was great. Even going home deerless didn't matter, I had a ton of fun and the bucks were really out for some reason on that November hunt.

Bret M.

i was 7 years old. my brother was 3 1/2. went bow hunting with my ol' man. he used an old bear grizzly, 56# recurve and cedar arrows he made himself. no camo. no blinds. no salt. just him and a bow and the ability to sneak like a bug. parked the truck, headed up a canyon. he pointed to two piles o' rocks in the saddle. told me to take my brother and wait on the one on the right. we seen a snake so i picked him up and carried him and ran like heck. he's 6'8" now, so it's a good thing he was only 3 1/2. he was only like 5'6" then. we got to the rockpile and waited. had no idear where the ol' man was. then i seen him sneakin' and lookin'. maybe 100 yards away. hard to say, this was a long time ago and things seem big when you're little. anyway, he climbed up onto the other rockpile and was looking around. then he drew his bow and shot directly below him into some brush. a coeus buck came running out with only the fletches sticking out of it's back. took us awhile to find it. i remember i found the arrow laying on the ground and from there i could see the buck dead. we were real happy. seems like it was a 2x3. gutted it and pop put it on his shoulders and off we went to the truck. i carried the bow. just before we got to the truck a bobcat jumped up on a rock a little ways away. i handed pop his bow and he drilled the bobcat with the same arrow he killed the deer with. i thought my ol' man was Dan'l Boone reincarnated. dang that was a good day. Lark.

mine was just this past year...i went in and packed in a mile from the nearest road and hunted hard for 3 days straight... i saw some small bucks but about 10+ deer that would end going 90+ inches. i ended up shooting a buck that went 113. best time id ever had.

Last season I had a great hunt with my son. It was his first deer hunt. We hunted late Dec in unit 23. We both took bucks. It was a great hunt, we saw lots of game, including a close encounter with a Lion (I'll never be without a tag again).

Oh ..... did I say unit 23 ...... it couldn't have been 23 ...... there are no Deer in that unit ..... It must have been in some other unit ..... I forgot the number, I'v slept since then and it's my Alzheimers !!!!!!

Muskeg,

I was unit 23. I remember - I've been awake all this time!

You and your son got sited by the game dept for killing the last two living deer in the unit.

I hope you've paid your fine!

Mike

Guest Ernesto C

Lark thank you for all awesome stories and thanks for being a member of this great site. By the way we are still wating for that book you are going to publish with all your stories :) ...........but in the mean time you can keep telling us more great adventures,we are listening.

I haven't had a bad hunt yet,every hunt is special,full of memories and moments were I really feel that I'm alive where I enjoy and feel every breath I take enjoying that morning air and ..........

There had being hunts were I come home empty handed and still had the hunt of a life time,a great example of that was my hunt last year or actually this year (January) in Sonora Mexico. What and awesome buck I saw!! The country,the people and that beatifull Mountain Lion! Amazing! but above all the best thing was to have the opportunity to hunt there and to have my lovely wife with me. Thank you Lord for all that. God bless you all my fellow members,I can't wait for the next hunt.

Ernesto C

Muskeg, glad you had a good backpack hunt, but when ya slept, didja sleep in a Holiday Inn Express?

Unit 23...er 24... should have lotsa deer this year as they fled the fires in 21 and 22 and WMAT and ...

Good luck in this year's draw for that deerless unit.

RR

Come to think of it it was in 23 ..... actually the only deer we saw was the 2 we got .....

it was down along that river ...... they were all wet from just swimming the river over from that other unit (21 or 22 I think it is) ...... there was probably a fire over there Red Rabbit.

yes Rembrant we paid our fine ..... actually the fine was we had to sit out this years hunt !!!!!

Really ..... my son's wife is going to have a baby later this month and with the travel down for that and with all the fall action for my son we have planned to sit this one out. I will take my winter vacation hunt in Feb .... we will put in for pigs ..... any one have any suggestions about units out there that DON'T have any pigs in them????

I wish you all luck in the draw and hope you get your first choice.

Hope you didn't put in for unit #23 ...... there are NO Deer there

The no internet rule will probably mean you AZ boys will have a better handle on things.

My best Coues hunt was Jan. 2002. My father and I were hunting on a good friend of ours lease in Sonora, MX. We had a fantastic time, made some good friends, saw some awsome country, saw some super bucks and got to share taking my first Booner with my Dad. I will never forget this trip to the desert of Sonora.

I heard UltraMag talk about unit 23,

I'm not looking for any top honey holes, just any info.

I was drawn for the 23 burro mtns late hunt. Any info would be greatly

appreciated. Lots of scouting is planned. I also was drawn the 15 late elk hunt.

Any good info or past experience is again appreciated. I live in Az so I apologize to any locals not getting drawn. I know how it usually feels.

Hey muley, congrats on your unit 15 elk draw. You wont believe what I've been seeing this year. I had this tag last year, and I wasnt seeing the caliber of elk I'm seeing now at this time. I ended up taking a 378 bull, but I passed up about 7 or 8 bulls between 340 and 360. I even missed one quite a bit bigger than what I killed (probably around 380-390).

Dang!!! You had me all excited, I drew the New Mexico unit 23 Burro Mtns only. This is the first time for me.