Sign in to follow this  
125coues

My friends 30B Deer

My friend Jerry and his dad bought left over tags for 30b, he had never been in this unit and did not have anytime to go scouting. He bought a map and did some looking on Google earth to find a spot to hunt. He got to his camp site on Thursday and did a little scouting around. On opening morning Jerry and Pops spotted 2 small bucks, Pops was able to connect on one, it was a spike....Good eating!! Jerry kept holding out for something bigger and finally spotted this buck on Sunday evening, too late to go after. Monday morning Jerry was back at the spot that he last saw this buck and was unable to locate it, so he went to sit at a water tank and left his dad to keep looking for the buck. Later that afternoon Jerry's dad called him on the radio and advised him he had located 2 bucks, one being the one he had spotted the day before. Jerry went back to the spot and found that the bucks were bedded down, he set up for the shot, it was about 370 yards. Jerry was able to shot this good buck, unfortunately the drop tine broke off and he was unable to locate it. He did not have a camera with him to take field pictures. Jerry has left the deer with me and I got these pictures to share. I green scored the buck around 95 inch's with out the drop tine. Keep in mind that I am not an official scorer.

post-1911-1257911711_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1257911727_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1257911737_thumb.jpg

Wow thats really sucks about the droptine. Still a nice buck.

Dang it i was watching the buck all year.I was hoping he would make it to jan ohh well good job.In the area he was running you might find the droptine he had it in oct.

Thanks Mark for posting this buck and story for Jerry. I talked with him on my way back to Payson last wendsday, after dropping off my bull at home, and he was really excited and told me you did a post on his buck. I lost his call as I entered the mountains at the 4peak's area. Ran home yesterday for Thanksgiving after 3 weeks in elk camp and will be returning to scout for Peg's bull as soon as she gets her cloths packed. Had a great hunt this year and will post later. Hi to Kathi and congrats on her pig. :)

TJ

Great buck especially with a left over tag. Great job by both hunters. I dream about harvesting a drop tine buck some day broken or not it's still really cool and quite a accomplishment.

Congrats to all involved