Anybody got a special load they like for this cartridge.

We now have one of them in the family would like to build a good all around load.

What grain bullet is the best for this gun? Elk? Deer? Is there a middle of the road weight that works well for both?

Powder recommendations?

Help me out here if you don't mind.

Just one bullet, deer/elk, then the 140 gr TSX. I also like that a horndy 139 sp will hit same poi as the TSX in three rifles in the family. Just deer would be the 120 gr ballistic tip, actually a sturdy little bullet, or the 120 TSX for more sturdiness.

H4350 or H414, just work up to 2800 fps with the 140 and it'll be all good.

Kent

Kent,

I have read where the jacket on the 120 BT was thickened in response to silhouette shooters, thus making it a better game bullet also. The 180gr 30cal BT also has a thicker jacket.

Doug

Doug, I loaded some 120 nbt up for my 7mm mag when I had it, 3400 fps. My buddy used it to shoot his coues at 200 yds and it had a small entrance and perfect nickle exit hitting rib. One case doesn't prove anything but it worked great that time. I loaded those because I heard and seen the same thing you did, people even shoot elk with them. I wouldn't use the 140s though.

None of the three 7mm08s I got for my Dad and 2 nephews has killed anything but I did work up loads for each gun and the 120 nbt shoots great in them, as does the 140/139 combo.

I picked up a nice tikka 7mm08 from a member here for myself just recent and will work on loads, probably shoot the same loads that the others do. That would make loading easy.

Kent

40 grains of AA 25-20 topped with a 139 grain Hornady SST. 25-20 dispenses smoothly through a powder measure. Also 42 grains of 25-20 topped with a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Mine likes 140 Partitions over 44 gr of IMR 4350.

I have about 1200 130gr Siearra's I want to give a try

but will have to do some expansion test with them

before trying to use them on a hunt.

Also want to work up a 120 Partition load and

140gr Berger loads.

hey gameholler, how you do an expansion test on somethin' that won't make jello jiggle? here's a good load for a 7mm/08, sell lit and buy a .270. or a .22, Lark.

hey gameholler, how you do an expansion test on somethin' that won't make jello jiggle? here's a good load for a 7mm/08, sell lit and buy a .270. or a .22, Lark.

:angry: Welcome back Lark and congrats on your Carp, I think <_<

140 gr Sierra Game King AA4350 x 45 grains 2700 fps CCI 200 primer Federal brass 2.741 OAL 0.355 in group @ 100 yrd

140 gr Nosler Accubond H4895 x 40.5 grains 2769 fps CCI 200 primer Hornady brass 2.741 OAL 0.576 in group @ 100 yrd

Some of reloading notes for my son's Tikka 7mm/08