bullwidgeon

Unit 23 next week

AZOD- That buck actually has 9 scorable points. You can't see the rack well in the pic. The bucks left side is a perfect three point with about a three inch eye guard. And the right side is a main frame two point with splits on the g2 and 3.I'd say he grosses in the low 80's and nets mid 60s. And yes this young lad did kill this buck yesterday right before dark. He made a double lung shot at 286 yards.

5 year - are you from NM?

Yes I am from NM. I've lived here my whole life and live in Los Lunas. It's about a 4 hour drive to SW NM so I don't get to scout near as much as I would like. My family are long time mule deer hunters, and I just 5 years ago I broke away and tried to hunt coues. I remember the first coues I saw was a big doe and I couldn't keep myself from shaking just looking at her through my cheap binos. From that day I was hooked. Since then I've hunted every year for Coues in NM and am still trying to get my first one. I've had 2 heartbreak misses in those 5 years but I'm still trying to get one. I've never missed a big game animal before I started hunting coues. I keep getting the buck fever on them. I'm really tempted to hunt Arizona, but I love NM so I've always wanted my first coues to come from my home state.

Travis,

You are in a good spot to fulfill your goal. Just hunt as close to the Mogollon Mt range as possible. Find the water find the deer. :D

Good Luck.

Where will you be camping? I might head up there that weekend to check things out. Like I said I have a client hunting in that Unit.

Tommy

Hopefully I'll be in the flats just inside the National Forest behind moon ranch. Thats the best camping area I know of for a big camp. My hunting party of 5 will be pulling in there Tuesday morning, so hopefully all the good camps sites won't be taken. We will have a big white canopy and like I said earlier I'll be driving a gray Toyota Tacoma. So if you find us, stop by and say hey. :D

Travis

I was just looking at the weather report and it looks like the first 2 days of the upcoming NM hunt might be rainy and/or windy. Does anybody know how this will affect coues deer movement? Should I still concentrate on glassing south facing slopes in the morning, or should I change my hunting tactics? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Travis

The does will be up and feeding all day long. The bucks will be hiding in the thickest catclaw, oakbrush and juniper thickets they can find because chumps like me were blasting at them for the last three days. I passed on lots of little and average deer and finally shot at and missed a real toad last night. My buddy I was hunting with, Rusty, killed this deer on day 2 with all of us 3 of us in camp helping. Use big glasses all day till you find where the bucks are going at and then use teamwork to work the thick stuff they are hiding in. It worked for us, now if our shooting had only been a little better :lol: ...

fa9ca8de.jpg

Bret M.

I never actually taped him. Rusty did some rough prelim measurements and I think maybe he will go 95 or so. I think Rusty is going to have him measured and let me know what the score officially is once he gets it done. I thought he was around 100 or so when he busted out in front of me and even after I got the 15x's on him for a few minutes, but he has a bad G3 on his left side. I couldn't see that as he was going away across the canyon. The unit was 23 just like the thread title :lol: .

Bret M.

Guest Ernesto C

5yearcoueshunter,Bret M. mention something that in my opinion is very important and correct."The bucks will be hiding in the thickest cat claw" he's right,he also mention "work the thick stuff" he's right again. If an area is almost impossible for you to walk there is where the bucks will be,just glass those small openings,if it is windy the bucks will not move to much,just have patience and be ready.Let us know the results of your hunt when you get back ok? God bless you.

Ernesto Cibrian.