bullwidgeon

Unit 23 next week

The Sherridan area is a good place remember you are hunting the second hunt. so you will have to get deeper into the country to take a "decent' buck, I would hunt as far NE as I could walk.

The foot hills behind the Moon ranch hold large numbers of deer, they are just hard to hunt because of the brush. I would find the water and hunt close to it. It hasn't rained in a long time.

I'll be up there checking in on my client on Saturday night. Good Luck

AZOD- If you hunt NE across the Frisco river you will not be in 23 you'll be in 16a. And if you plan on going NW of Glenwood to Roberts park, Smoothing Iron, Goat basin, Sun Flower mesa,Whiterock area, be prepared to see hundreds of hunters. Those areas are loaded with AZ hunters that didn't get drawn in AZ, plus numerous hunters from NM,TX. Those areas are well known. You will have to go over more than one canyon to get away from the crowd. This year they shortened our hunts to two hunts, this means more people on each hunt. Then you add the factor that the first hunt is WED, Thur, Fri. So the second hunt is going to be loaded with people. Don't want to bring you down just letting you know what i've seen in the past. I took my son into Goat Basin last year and i'll never do that again. Good Luck

AZOD Hunter,

Try Frieborn Canyon if hunters drive you out of your other spots. It's a good hike in and out of there and you won't see any road hunters.

Jason

I agree with you. The coues deer population in NM is underestimated in my opinion. But it seems like to me that unless your hunting unit 27, most good coues deer areas in NM are either really rough or really brushy which makes glassing and stalking difficult. Although I've never hunted Arizona or Mexico, from the few coues deer hunting videos I've seen, the country looks a lot more open and not quite so rough. Or maybe I'm just hunting the wrong spots in NM. :D

Jason thanks for the hook up. I did a little research and that place looks decent. I will be in there and I will let you know how it all turns out. If you can e-mail your phone number I would like to pick your brain a little. My address is Hunting@AZOD.COM. Or if you would like give me a call.

Did that buck that was killed in 23 have 3 points on both sides and did that young man kill it? If so it should be somewhere close to 78 to 80 inches. Those are some decent G-2's. That right G-1 looks like it is about 4 inches. BTW, the book doesn't mean that much to me, I just love to guess scores. I not very good at either. I'm hope the young man killed that buck. I think that every kid should be out there hunting with mom or dad. I can't wait to take my boys out on their first deer hunt.

Louis Urquides

Team AZOD

602-402-6518

Edited by AZOD Hunter

AZOD Hunter,

I sent you a email with my phone #. I have hunted 23 a couple of times for Elk and have always seen more Mule Deer then Elk. Not a good unit for out of shape hunters(atleast the northern part of 23).

Jason