bullwidgeon

Unit 23 next week

Crazyaboutcoues, 5yearcoueshunter

In New Mexico can you have a draw permit and buy a land owner permit in the same year for the same animal?? Example: Get drawn for Elk in one unit and buy a Elk land owner tag also OR get drawn for a Mule Deer tag in 10 and buy a land owner tag for Mule Deer also

Just Curious

Jason

Jason,

You can only have 1 licence for each species per year. So if you put in for a public elk tag in April and draw, you can not buy a landowner tag. If you don't draw, then you can buy a landowner tag. Same is true for deer. If you draw, you can't buy a licence for one of the over the counter unit hunts. If you don't draw, you can get a over the counter tag for some units.

Example: Unit 27 is a draw only unit for deer. If I put in and draw, thats my hunt for the year. If I don't draw, I can then buy a over the counter tag for unit 22, 23, etc.

Did I explain that right crazyaboutcoues?

Travis

azcouescrazy,

The new issue of Rocky Mountain Game & Fish has a article written by Tony Mandile called Packing In For Coues Deer. The article talks about hunting in unit 27 and 28 with Scott Adams. Great article!!

Jason

Scott Adams and I will be heading out to unit 27 on the Late December Coues hunt. It's going to be awsome, we set the bar at 110". I don't know if I could pass up a 100"er. First time hunting with pack goats :lol: .

Tommy

Crazyaboutcoues,

After reading that article, if i didn't live in the city i would be buying goats to help pack in my gear. I know the Dwight Schum uses Llamas for his hunting. I know i couldn't pass on a 100"er. Good luck!

Jason

Thanks Jason...We'll see how it goes, I have yet to score on a 100" Coues.

I wonder How 5yearcouehunter is doing. It's been raining here for two days. The fog is finally lifting. I'll tell you what when this clears up, the deer are going to be moving.

Tommy, I've got you your own personal packgoat, his name is Luther, we call him the evil goat. He's black with yellow eyes and a nasty disposition :angry: . But he seems to be a big Coues buck magnet. Just don't turn your back on him. :huh:

Scott

Hey guys I'm back from my hunt. It did rain for the first 2 days of the hunt, but the last 3 were nice. I ended up seeing about 15 coues including 2 nice bucks. One buck I spotted at about 800 yards just has he was heading over a big canyon, and I didn't see any way to stalk him. The other buck was probably a solid 85 incher at about 450 yards. At that range we needed the buck to give us a good standing broadside shot, but he never did. So my goal of getting my first coues in NM will have to wait another year. I still had a wonderful hunt. The coues is by far my favorite animal to hunt and watch, and I will give it my all again next year. I'm thinking about trying another place next year. Where I was hunting had quite a few deer, but it's so rough it's almost impossible to stalk in. Anyway, thanks everybody for your advice and gook luck on your upcoming hunt Tommy and Scott.

Guest Ernesto C

I agree with Tommy,dont give up and remember those bucks you saw,they will be bigger next year. God bless you.

Ernesto C.

Hey All,

Well our hunt in NM was a success. All we saw was mule deer except for 2 little Coues bucks. I killed a decent mule deer 4-point and my parnters killed a 2-point and 3-point. We hunted really hard and had a really good hunt. I will be looking forward to getting back into NM when I get back.

I want to thank everyone for helping us for this hunt. You are all apprieciated.

I will be gone for the next 18 months. When I returned from my hunt I found out that my unit is going to be deployed to be Iraq. You all have a good hunt next year.

Take it easy and kill a big one.

Sgt Louis Urquides

Team AZOD

United States Army.