Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Another small but tasty coues

After two years of harvesting fork horns in 36c I told myself I was going to hold out for a nice buck this year. I hiked into the same canyon I shot my deer in the past. After creeping up over the ridge I saw a doe and started to hear some movements further up the canyon. I crept around the bush I was sitting behind and the buck was already running. His rack stood out at 150 yards and I knew that was the buck I was after. I made the mistake of fumbling around with my bipod and by the time I got set up I could not locate the buck. I did find him again through my binoculars around 300 yards, but he was gone by the time I got my gun up. It is amazing how they can disappear before your eyes.

I was a little disappointed after feeling like I had blown a great opportunity. I made plans to stake out the same draw the next day. I woke up at five and was settled in before the sun had started to come up. Unfortunately it was super windy and after about an hour I could not hold my binoculars steady because I was shivering. I started to walk around to warm up and ended up back at my tent around 11:00 a.m.

After a cat nap I was ready to give it another shot, so I hiked up a steep mountain. Once I got to the top it was absolutely beautiful with great views and glassing spots in every direction. I glassed up three does and four javelinas in an ocotillo patch. It is amazing how much the deer seem to be attracted to those thick ocotillo patches. After walking the ridge I came to a nice flat spot that looked like it dropped off on the edge. I crept up to the lip and without looking for more than 3 seconds I saw a deer looking up at me. I zoomed in on my scope and saw antlers. Before I knew what happened my gun went off and the deer went down. Moments later a really nice three point caught my attention. He had not been 15 yards from the deer I shot. I was kicking myself for not looking around before I pulled the trigger. I was less than 100 yards from the deer, and two bucks I did not shoot just stood looking around for about a minute until I stood up. After that the work began. I had to clean the buck, carry him two miles to the main trail, hike back up and break down camp and then hike everything out two more miles to my truck.

It was exhausting but well worth it. Maybe next year I will actually have the patience to hold out for a bigger one. It seems like I have such a hard time finding a buck at all, when I see one it is really hard to pass up the opportunity. Some of it might have been the memory of eating tag soup last year. One thing I know I will do in the future is at least look around if I see a buck that is not spooked. Most of the bucks I have seen have been in groups of two to three. Good luck to everyone that still has hunting time left, I am jealous.

post-3890-1259523256_thumb.jpg

Congratulations! I have suffered the same plight for many years. It is hard to pass the little guys. You will overcome the urge next time! It took me awhile! Great job, and do remember any coues is a trophy coues!

Congratulations!! I am sure you will enjoy eating him! The more successful you get at finding bucks every day, the easier it is to pass on the smaller ones. Good luck with your goal next year!!

Amanda

The coues do dissapear; to be honest, it can be intimidating to see a hillside, and not really know that you can find all the deer ( the Army should adopt that grey color camo the deer wear)

And I have a hearing disability. My wife hears them walking.

My goal is to one day stalk one in the bed.

And, to the more at hand task, kill a buck before the season ends. And, like you, to stay warm....I squated a half hour or more while the doe I recognize as a bit more smarter than the rest tried to make me out, and I shivered so hard my teeth chattered.

Congratultions.

Next year, the big one....

Congratulations. There were afew cold, nasty days this past weekend. Patience is the key. At least you were successful - me on the other hand, had alot of patience, but no deer in the freezer.