Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Rifle Kick....looking for suggestions for next rifle

Please offer suggestions, I currently have a 300WSM and looking for a deer rifle with less kick and one that is a flat shooter (will use factory loads)

I really do not enjoy shooting the 300WSM due to the kick and knocking me off my aim (plus I flinch....yeah I'm a [you add the adjective]).

My 300WSM does not have a muzzlebreak...wondering if I should install one and go from there.

Couple of questions to go with your suggestions

1. What does a muzzlebreak cost to get installed (this comes into consideration if I should purchase a new rifle), any suggestion on where to get one installed?

2. Does a 7mm have noticeibly "less" kick than a 300WSM?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Redman

I would suggest a break, you can get one installed anywhere from $250- $400. and they are worth it as far as recoil is concerned. If you have a smith you trust ask him, if not there are plenty of people that do great work I'm sure you could get pointed in the right direction.

Try a 25-06, 270, or 280.

Here is a table of various recoil energies. Be careful to note the different rifle weights

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

I am not a fan of brakes due to the noise, muzzle blast and likely hearing damage without protection.

If you are prone to have one, consider the Vais http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

or one with ports to the side so dust and dirt is not kicked up as much

http://www.defensiveedge.net/products/products.htm

Quit shooting off the bench and the felt recoil will be MUCH less. Only use the bench rest to site in, then practice shooting actual field conditions. Kneeling, sitting, bipod, shooting sticks, etc. Bench rest shooting is torture with most "mag" rifles and even 30/06 and 270.

Yep, once you are zeroed, get off the bench.

Before a brake, consider:

Recoil with 150 grain bullets will be noticeably less than with 180s, They will shoot flatter also.

Put a Sims or Decelerator recoil pad on the rifle.

Wear a Past recoil shield on the shoulder when practicing.

Shoot a 22rf a lot. Dry fire your 300WSM a bunch and check for flinching.

I got a few points to consider.... :rolleyes:

1) A 7mag will never have less recoil than a 300WSM if they are set up the same.

2) A Break and a good Recoil Pad will make that 300WSM kick like a 22-250.... wear ear plugs and enjoy the fact that the critters can't tell where the shot came from. ;)

3) If #2 does not fix your problem then set up a 257WBY with a pad and break on it.... ;)

4) As Doug said, shott a 22lr a bunch to solve your flinch. ;)

Best of luck. ;)

Brakes suck, but they work.. I don't like them but in a situation like this, they would be the bet bet. Just be sure to have hearing protection anytime you may shoot. I shot my old RUM on a snapshot at a kudu and didn't have time to put my plugs in, and my ears rang for 2 days. Not good.

I have one on my 300WSM built by Match Grade Arms.. Had one on my 300RUM by Hill Country Rifles too..

If you want, come shoot my 470 Nitro for a few rounds then shoot that WSM of yours.. It'll cure you from thinking that WSM kicks. :D

Great info and thanks to all for the replies.

Need to get off the bench, it has made me flinchy.....

I have a Winchester 300 WSM Supershadow (not a high end gun, but still a pretty good shooter), a muzzlebreak will cost roughly around $300, not bad considering a new rifle will cost 3-4 times that....we have a .243 (my son's gun) been thinking of putting some work into it and "borrowing" it.

Need to ask these questions now so I can get my rifle sent off or get a new one (since I am done for a year, hopefully after Jan I will not have to worry about a new rifle ;) ....)

Thanks Again,

Redman

I have a break on my 300rum from vanhorn. Im shootin 180s and it is a dream to shoot. I never take it out w/ out hearing protection. I use banded ear plugs i wear like a necklace so they are always handy. I have back up disposables in my pack too. My dad shot my gun this year and he had the electronic muffs. He could hear my every whisper while being protected. He heard me better than normal too cuz he turned em way up so we could talk quiet. The best thing to cure flinching is a good trigger. You shouldnt know exactly when its gonna go off. It should break halfway through the thought of " ok it should fire now" For me thats about 2 lbs. some guys like less. some think 2lbs is too light. Once you get it sighted in, there is no need to go and shoot 20 rounds at a time. You will never feel recoil in the field if your shootin at something alive. If your shootin on a bench and are flinching. stop shooting. you will only make your reaction worse.

come shoot my 470 Nitro for a few rounds then shoot that WSM of yours.. It'll cure you from thinking that WSM kicks. :D

With the shoulder pain, you will never notice the detached retina :blink:

I don't recommend shooting a brake without ear protection, but the custom brake I have is not too bad to shoot without, you just don't want to be standing at the side of the gun. It depends tons on the design of the brake. It tames the recoil tremendously. My wife shoots my 300 ultra with a brake with mimimal problems. 105lb 5'5" frame

I don't recommend shooting a brake without ear protection, but the custom brake I have is not too bad to shoot without, you just don't want to be standing at the side of the gun. It depends tons on the design of the brake. It tames the recoil tremendously. My wife shoots my 300 ultra with a brake with mimimal problems. 105lb 5'5" frame

Take it from experience. Don't shoot any gun, brake or not, without ear plugs. And for crying out loud don't let your kids shoot without them.

When I was growing up, ear plugs were for wimps, wusses, and weiners.

WHAT? HUH? SAY THAT AGAIN....

come shoot my 470 Nitro for a few rounds then shoot that WSM of yours.. It'll cure you from thinking that WSM kicks. :D

With the shoulder pain, you will never notice the detached retina :blink:

Nobody ever claimed it was for the weak and feable!

I've shot WAY worse.. 378WBY, 460WBY, 577NE, 500Jeffery.. All kick WAY worse than 470

Back to the topic, if you are a flitcher, get a brake.