Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Rifle Kick....looking for suggestions for next rifle

That 470 is fun to shoot!

That problem is easy.

6.5 wsm, 264 win mag, 257 wby mag. My wby mag is a baby when it comes to recoil, and it is not a heavy gun and has a POS pad on it!

Changing calibers unless you go to a substantially smaller bullet will not get what you are looking for. Muzzle brakes and gun weight are the 2 main things you need to consider. If you can stand the extra noise, muzzle brakes are the best way to go. That being said, I had a 18 pound tactical rifle in 300 win mag that had less felt recoil than a .223. There is alway's going to be a trade off somewhere. Good luck!!!

Not even sure how to ask this question, but what is an ideal "energy" to effectively put down a coues (assumeing it was a well placed shot) I know there are a lot of varibles to consider?

Redman

Not even sure how to ask this question, but what is an ideal "energy" to effectively put down a coues (assumeing it was a well placed shot) I know there are a lot of varibles to consider?

Redman

This has been a good thread Redman. My 7mm is getting pretty spendy to shoot, and I'm going to be working over my .243 for Coues' hunting. They both shoot great, but the .243 costs 1/2 as much to shoot. I'm looking forward to feedback on the "energy" question.

Later,

--Bill

Obviously bullet placement will override or negate energy.

One consideration would be enough retained velocity at the target to open/expand the bullet. For the TSX and E-Tip, the manufacturers say about 1800 fps. Nosler says about 1700 fps to reliably expand the Ballistic Tip.

One source says about 800 ft-lbs of minimum energy for deer at impact.

I have gotten rid of my big bores in favor of shooting smaller caliber guns that are plenty for putting down a Coues deer. I prefer the .243 caliber using the Hornady light magnum 85 grain interbonds. I wouldn't mind picking up a 25-06 since it has great ballistics and only has about 11 pounds of recoil energy using a 100 bullet. David

Obviously bullet placement will override or negate energy.

One consideration would be enough retained velocity at the target to open/expand the bullet. For the TSX and E-Tip, the manufacturers say about 1800 fps. Nosler says about 1700 fps to reliably expand the Ballistic Tip.

One source says about 800 ft-lbs of minimum energy for deer at impact.

As always...you provide the information needed....you should think about changing your name to Dr. Red Rabbit or something.....

I have the solution in my safe already, my son's .243 (which has already claimed 3 coues), add a little trigger work, swap of scope, and whola we both win!

Still gonna get a muzzlebreak on the 300WSM....never know when he and I will have the same hunt, don't want him to devleop bad habits like me carrying the 300WSM :lol:

Thanks everybody for the help,

Redman

energy=numbers on a piece of paper. if you're hunting a charging cape or rhyno or maybe a brown bear, you might wanna pay a little attention to "energy". other than that, forget about it. when you shoot an animal he don't think to hisself "dang, that bullet felt like it had a lotta energy". any decent centerfire will kill anything in north America right nicely. nothing can recover from a lung or heart shot. even from a .22. heck, i've even heard of guys killin' stuff with a 7mm/08, tho i don't believe it. how much evergy does an arrow carry? not very much, that's how much. you need to pay attention to velocity so you can predict bullet drop at a given range, but don't waste your time even thinking about energy. the energy of a bullet is calculated as to what effect it will have on a solid object. animals ain't solid. if energy meant anything then a bullet travelling with sufficent velocity to have say 2000lbs of energy would fling a 100 lb midget deer across a canyon. you wouldn't even be able to find a coyote. knock it into new mexico and you'd get a ticket for not havin' a non res license. pay attention to velocity, trajectory, ballistic coefficient and other pertinent info, but not "energy". if your gun kicks too hard put a sims pad on it. if it still kicks too hard, get a muzzlebrake. still too hard, take up golf or get a 7mm/08. just like the sun comes up ever mornin', rifles kick. just somethin' ya hafta deal with. remember, marksmanship is the key to shooting. if you can't hit, it don't matter how much energy anything has. just ax my boys. they just had to punk a bull out of a canyon that i shot at a shade over 900 yards. by the time the bullet got there it didn't have enough evergy left to open a pop can. but that's a different story. Lark.

Lark,

I didn't know a .270 would shoot 900 yards. Did you mean 90? By the way, my son has killed several Cow elk & a muley buck with his 7mm/08 and I even shot a Coues buck with it, so yes a 7mm/08 will kill if used appropriately.

i was usin' my newly rebuilt and improved .300. my boys won't let me shoot my .270 much anymore. i kill stuff so far away with it that they had to run to beat the coyotes and crows to it and skin it before it spoiled. tried to develop a bullet with salt on it to cure the meat so it wouldn't spoil before we could get to it but never got it right . you're joshin' about killin' somethin' with a 7mm/08 ain't ya? them things are slower than the rotation of the earth. there's been several guys that shot themselves by shootin' it to the east and bullet actually come backwards and hit em because of the earth spin. it just made little knobs on their heads and bounced off tho. did ya know that the 7mm/08 is the only round approved by both peta and sierra club? Lark.

i was usin' my newly rebuilt and improved .300. my boys won't let me shoot my .270 much anymore. i kill stuff so far away with it that they had to run to beat the coyotes and crows to it and skin it before it spoiled. tried to develop a bullet with salt on it to cure the meat so it wouldn't spoil before we could get to it but never got it right . you're joshin' about killin' somethin' with a 7mm/08 ain't ya? them things are slower than the rotation of the earth. there's been several guys that shot themselves by shootin' it to the east and bullet actually come backwards and hit em because of the earth spin. it just made little knobs on their heads and bounced off tho. did ya know that the 7mm/08 is the only round approved by both peta and sierra club? Lark.

:lol: :( <_<

Just a few.

L__s_Antelope004.BMP

post-1778-1259927806_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1259927845_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1259927902_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1259927969_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1259928011_thumb.jpg

post-1778-1259928123_thumb.jpg