Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Bow setup

I bought a new mid range PSE bow a few years ago. I plan on doing quite a bit of hunting this January for javalina and deer. My current sepup has a whisker biscuit rest. My sight does not have a level bubble on it, but is the standard fiber optic pin type. I was considering replacing both, but wonder if it is really necessary. My main concern was with the rest. Any opinions on it would be great.

The whisker biscuit rest does slow down the arrow but is good for close shots tree stands or blinds. There are lots of drop away rests out look them up. I use an AAE Avalanche but they are pretty pricy but well worth the money.

As for the sights if it works for you keep it if not again there are plenty out there cheap and expensive. I use a true glow with all the micro adjustments and it ran around 90 bucks. Get the one you like and think it would be best for you. ;)

I bought a new mid range PSE bow a few years ago. I plan on doing quite a bit of hunting this January for javalina and deer. My current sepup has a whisker biscuit rest. My sight does not have a level bubble on it, but is the standard fiber optic pin type. I was considering replacing both, but wonder if it is really necessary. My main concern was with the rest. Any opinions on it would be great.

You are going to get two camps on the WB. people who love them. and people who hate them. I have two friends that have brand new top of the line bows outfitted with WB. I have not noticed any difference in performance or noise out to 100 yards with the WB . They seem to preform as good as any other rest. From seeing that I would not hesitate to use one. I appreciate the simplicity and ease of setup that the WB provides. Also the noise free arrow containment is unmatched in close hunting situations.

If you are going to be shooting distances over 30 yards, I feel you absolutely need a level. You might be able to glue one on your site and it would cost you 3 to 4 bucks and improve your distance shooting immensly. See Jesse at Saguaro bait and tackle and he will be able to tell you if the glue on level is a possibility. Jesse will take care of you.

Bob

I use the G5 Expert II drop away... I used a WB for years in the midwest and loved it. I think it is a great rest for eastern whitetail hunters in tree stands. However, in the midwest, a 30 yds shot is pretty far in the hardwoods. IMO hunting out west where the shots go much further, I like the drop aways. My .02

whisker biscut great beginner and hunting rest, dont listen about speed i field tested them and the difference is 2-4 fps you would never notice.

+1 on going down and talking to Jesse. I know he was using the whisk for a brief trial bases, but isn't anymore. Sounds like a perfect fit. He's into running and knows his Archery. And your into Running and have a Archery question. Go talk to him.

I agree that some like and some don't like the WB. I've tested a few drop aways and for hunting have gone back to a WB. Personal preference that's it. Both shot the same to me. For 3D and target I could live with either one. For hunting you can beat the KISS method the WB offers.

I'd also recommend going down to PSE Pro Shop and speak with Sergio or Zach.

cmc

You are going to get two camps on the WB. people who love them. and people who hate them. I have two friends that have brand new top of the line bows outfitted with WB. I have not noticed any difference in performance or noise out to 100 yards with the WB . They seem to preform as good as any other rest. From seeing that I would not hesitate to use one. I appreciate the simplicity and ease of setup that the WB provides. Also the noise free arrow containment is unmatched in close hunting situations.

If you are going to be shooting distances over 30 yards, I feel you absolutely need a level. You might be able to glue one on your site and it would cost you 3 to 4 bucks and improve your distance shooting immensly. See Jesse at Saguaro bait and tackle and he will be able to tell you if the glue on level is a possibility. Jesse will take care of you.

Bob

BEST ANSWER

You are going to have alot of debate with this post. I prefer and will only use a drop away I use the Limbdriver rest and only Spott-Hogg sights they are pretty pricey but that's my preference. The best thing is for you to do some reading or research or just try some different options.

Good luck!

If I've learned anything in my years of archery is that I gave up saying "I only use XYZ" - I tinker more than ever so it'd be hypocrisy for me to say that today.

With that, I say experiment as much as your budget allows. Find what works for you today and go with it. If something new comes around don't feel like you can't give it a try.

You can find a ton of used archery stuff in the classified section at archery talks forums. I being left handed love the fact that they have a section dedicated to south paws. I've bought a few items there to try and it saved me serious coin. To the point I could buy a few other items that I'd not been able to if not for the cheap price of the used gear. I need to go through my trail and error stuff and give back to others with the items I don't need anymore.

Good luck

Thanks for all of the info. I did end up taking my bow down to Jesse so he could put a new string on for me and tune it up. I bought the limb driver drop away rest and for some reason I have an obsession with a spott hogg sight right now. They seem pretty pricey, so I am trying to sell some of my old junk on craigslist to justify the purchase. I don't get to bow hunt until January, but good luck to all of you heading out in December.