Sign in to follow this  
joeeden

Who would want to eat a javi?

Why hunt them if you dont eat them. Wasting of game meat?

I don't... Haven't shot one in going on 13 years.

And back in TX we'd shoot them for the ranch hands.. They would ask us for them.. And in TX there is no draw for javies..

Ive tried everybody's wonder recipe that takes javi meat and turns it into somewthing edible. None of it was ever any good. In fact some of the worst "food" ive ever eaten. Than being said i thought id never need to try another bite. One year in archery javi camp we grilled an entire bakstrap with a bunch of seasoning on it. It was killed that day and must got the gland taken care of. This was some of the best pork ive ever had. I am still extemely wary of eating any of it anymore but i do know for a fact that not all the stories are outright lies. I wish they all turned out like the one we cooked in camp.

Now I won't shoot one and let the meat go to waste! That was why I posted. It sounds like I have options and it was funny to hear everyone's piggy stories. Having said that I am destined to miss since I started asking who wants my javi meat for my hunt next month! Gonna get the stickbow out again and shoot at snow in the backyard :) Thanks again everyone! And God bless all of the families who have suffered such great losses. And here's to hoping nobody dignifies you know who with a response on anything!

hello - proper meat care - lol- I've never had a bad tasting javelina - the backstraps get wrapped in smoked bacon and crock potted -SLOW_ with any kind of cream soup - i prefer mushroom - slice up on a bed of rice - hmmmmmmmmm- the rest goes to - Denmark meats in west glendale - for beer brats - simple easy and tastie - put me in line for anyone who's skinned and cooled the meat and transported properly -

+1-2-3-4 skin them ASAP- gettem in a good gamebag (wink)and never transport with hide on!!!

As an added note = something most people never really think out - but especially with piggys- the musk scent is everywhere on a pig - even after the hide is off- keep your hands clean when handling the meat -even just tossing the hide off - clean your hands often - I always have package of hand wipes in my pack - grabbing the legs and the touching the meat spreads the odor -all over agin - and over the meat - Can't stress it enough - keep it clean - Gary

i ain't never found anything that would cover up the musk bag after taste. that's why i never take ammo, use a bent barreled rifle with no firirng pin, wear xray glasses while i hunt and seldom leave camp during pig season. i won't even shoot squirrels or doves or jackrabbits anymore, because i don't like to eat em. i don't like predators either, but i don't consider it wrong to not eat coyotes. i don't think there is a way to make pig even ok. one time some o' the kids in camp shot some young sows and the last day we were there we were about outta bacon and sausage and stuff for breakfast so i sliced up several backstraps and cooked it with what we had left. the kids put the chowbainy on it and never batted an eye. but they will eat about anything. i shot one in my ol' mans cornfield once. a youngster too. had it hickory smoked and sugar cured with some hogs. it was ok while ya ate it, but it still had that musk bag after taste. pigs is rank. yuk. Lark.

hello - proper meat care - lol- I've never had a bad tasting javelina - the backstraps get wrapped in smoked bacon and crock potted -SLOW_ with any kind of cream soup - i prefer mushroom - slice up on a bed of rice - hmmmmmmmmm- the rest goes to - Denmark meats in west glendale - for beer brats - simple easy and tastie - put me in line for anyone who's skinned and cooled the meat and transported properly -

+1-2-3-4 skin them ASAP- gettem in a good gamebag (wink)and never transport with hide on!!!

As an added note = something most people never really think out - but especially with piggys- the musk scent is everywhere on a pig - even after the hide is off- keep your hands clean when handling the meat -even just tossing the hide off - clean your hands often - I always have package of hand wipes in my pack - grabbing the legs and the touching the meat spreads the odor -all over agin - and over the meat - Can't stress it enough - keep it clean - Gary

Gary, you're right on the money when you say "Can't stress it enough - keep it clean."

I'll take javi meat any time over any other but only my own. I would have to watch someone clean one before excepting it from them. I've had it many differrent ways but now only make sausage out of it. Hopefully I get one this year. :)

TJ

As a youngster in the late 50's-early 60's I'd run trap lines with my neighbor who was a trapper for the State of Texas. We'd kill any and all javelina we found. Sometimes we'd field dress them and take them to a BBQ joint just out of town, where they'd be deep pit BBQ'd and made into great BBQ sandwiches.

Since coming home to AZ, I've only hunted javi once. My experience in TX soured me on having to get drawn for javi tags. But, I was successful and took my javi to Malapai Meat Processing in Taylor, AZ. They made it into great summer sausage. They also do a great job on deer and elk. Another place to try is Lonme Eagel Outdoors in Heber, AZ. I've not had javi processed there, but they do good with deer and elk.

Just for what it's worth.