Sign in to follow this  
MARV

The Wife got it done!

Here's a pic showing only 1/2 the people that helped on this hunt! Couldn't have done it without friends & family!

post-1880-1260415099_thumb.jpg

My congratulations to your wife. That is a beautiful ram. I would like to here the story leading up to the shot. :)

TJ

Fantastic ram... Congratulations on your wifes success!

My congratulations to your wife. That is a beautiful ram. I would like to here the story leading up to the shot. :)

TJ

I'm not much of a story-teller (the reason I don't make many posts) but here goes...

With recommendations from a few knowledgable sheep hunters, we started scouting every weekend beginning on Haloween. There were a lot of sheep to be seen, but none were very impressive. We had been told that a 160" sheep was a good and realistic benchmark for that unit, but by the start of the hunt, we had yet to see anything close to that size.

On opening morning, friends were scattered all over the mountain range with their eyes glued to their binos. My wife and I hadn't seen anything from our location all morning, but when we went back to the truck to check messages, we had a voice mail saying "better come take a look at this one".

It was afternoon by the time we got around to the other side of the mountain range and walked in to the area this particular sheep was hanging out in. Unfortunately, he was tucked back in a little basin and we had to get pretty close (200yds) just to take a look.

When my wife saw that sheep she fell in love! He had everything she was looking for... about 9 years old and just enough battle scars to make him look interesting, but not so much that he looked ugly. Those of us on the scene tried to remind her that we still had time to leave him alone for a few days and look around some more if she wanted, but she wasn't interested. "I WANT THAT RAM, I WANT THAT RAM" she kept saying! She was smitten! By now the ram was 350yds away and it was time for action, so she layed down behind the ultra mag, poked a hole in him, and that old ram went to sleep forever.

THE END... unless she draws a rocky next year ;)