WFGinNM

NM Regs Online

Why the difference between the APPLICATION fees between resident and NR? :blink:

To be honest with you Doug, I have no idea why/how NM G&F comes up with any of their changes. But I do know that if you don't like it this year, just wait 'til next. It will be completely different, every year it's like hunting in a different state. :blink:

--Bill

New Application Fee

The new nonrefundable application fee for residents is $10 and $27 for nonresidents.

I can understand a difference in Res vs NR permit fees, but NM must be the first western state to charge differently on application fees. This can't be Taulman's scheme, cuz how would it benefit him since he outfits NR?

RR

I've been waiting to see what the outcome was on some of the changes they were considering.

Here are some of the more significant changes cut and pasted right from the NM Regs:

What’s New in 2010-2011

This booklet contains information valid from April 1, 2010, through March 31, 2011. All dates refer to 2010 unless otherwise noted.

New Application Deadlines

Feb. 3 is the deadline to apply for oryx draw licenses, bear WMA permits, population management hunts, and turkey draw permits. Online applications must be made BEFORE 5 p.m. MST. Changes to applications will be allowed until the deadline.

April 7 is the deadline to apply for public deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, ibex, Barbary sheep, javelina, and bighorn sheep draw licenses. Online applications must be made BEFORE 5 p.m. MDT. Changes to applications will be allowed until the deadline.

New Application Fee

The new nonrefundable application fee for residents is $10 and $27 for nonresidents.

Full Fee Up Front

Anyone applying for any public draw deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, oryx, ibex, javelina or Barbary sheep license, MUST pay the full license and application fee when applying.

No Application Restriction-Year Holdout

Hunters who successfully drew a Quality (Q) or High-Demand (HD) deer or elk license or any pronghorn license last year, are allowed to apply for a Quality (Q) or High-Demand (HD) hunt for deer or elk, or any pronghorn license next year.

Deer Permits/Licenses

There is no longer a Deer Permit. Hunters must only draw a Public Land Deer License or purchase a Private Land-Only Deer License.

Good Luck with the draws!

No Application Restriction-Year Holdout

Hunters who successfully drew a Quality (Q) or High-Demand (HD) deer or elk license or any pronghorn license last year, are allowed to apply for a Quality (Q) or High-Demand (HD) hunt for deer or elk, or any pronghorn license next year.

I am sure glad they didn't pass the waiting period. :)

It's interesting and frustrating to see how NMGF makes changes from year to year, seems to be a knee jerk reaction each year.

As an exmaple, the rule they had last year about applying for Q/HD hunts, if you were successful in drawing a tag in one of those units this year, you were supposed to have not been able to apply for a Q/HD hunt this year (for that species). The feeling was that this was driven by non-residents, thinking they would have a better chance on the draw. There was such a strong/negative reaction to this, that they pulled that rule as of the 2010 year. I think the rule was stupid, and should have been pulled, but in my mind they should have let it run a 2 year cycle.

RR, I can only imagine on the Res vs Non-Res fee difference that there was a strong Res contigency that put up an arguement that Non-Res were over applying, and this might help reduce the blanket applying for all hunts. Also tied to that is probably an argument over land owner tags taking away from Resisdents. The fee's upfront for everything will probably be the biggest impact on that, and I think it's a good change.

RR, I can only imagine on the Res vs Non-Res fee difference that there was a strong Res contigency that put up an arguement that Non-Res were over applying,

Since NR are limited to 12% guided and 10% unguided, I can't see how residents would be affected by the number of NR applying.

you forgot 'Full Fee Up Front' for almost everything.

good luck to all the rich guys. between the $27 app fee and the full fee up front I will probably only be putting in for deer.

Good Lord Almighty, I am just getting around to taking a peek at NM's regs and wow are they socking it to us non-residents. They used to be my favorite state to apply for because of their reasonable fees, easy online app service etc.. I can't beleived they have raised the non res app fee by 20$ in two years, thats a 300% increase. Can't wait to see what it is next year, we might as well call New Mexico, Nevada.Seems like they have some smart guys in the back office. At least they won't price all the non-residents out with the full fee upfront and increased app fees in this booming economy (sarcasm). All of you wealthy non res are gonna enjoy some fine odds this year. So obviously they eliminated the wonderful opportunity for non res to purchase their deer license up to the day before their hunt starts as well. I also though that was great, oh well. I could maybe understand the fees if there were some bonus points involved or some other incentive, or if they purged the 12% and 10% non res caps instead of making you hire an outfitter for however many thousands of dollors to enjoy better draw odds.

Sorry, had to vent.

Rough

I can completely understand your fustration. I dont understand why they increased the nr's fee to 27.

I am glad they went to up front though as alot of residents were putting in girlfriends, moms, aunts, etc trying to grab a tag this should stop that problem. To be honest I would of liked to see just the residents pay up front for elk, deer, lope or any other species that we dont compete with nr's for.

And charge the upfront fees for residents and nr's for all the speices that isnt a 78/12/10.

Well the way I look at it, in order for me to apply in AZ as a non resident it costs me a $150.00 "application fee" in the form of a non refundable license fee before I can apply for deer. I think the $27.00 your complaining about is pretty cheap, thats about 6 app fees you would have to pay to catch me. I agree that increasing license and application fees is tough, especially in this economy, but honestly NM is still pretty decent to non residents. Consider this; you have as good a chance as anyone else to draw over here, even in our best units. It'll be a cold day in you know where before I have enough bonus points, at $150 a year, to draw a quality rifle elk hunt in AZ right? No sour grapes from me, it is what it is, I'll continue to hunt there as I draw or until I can't afford it.

Kevin

Well the way I look at it, in order for me to apply in AZ as a non resident it costs me a $150.00 "application fee" in the form of a non refundable license fee before I can apply for deer. I think the $27.00 your complaining about is pretty cheap, thats about 6 app fees you would have to pay to catch me. I agree that increasing license and application fees is tough, especially in this economy, but honestly NM is still pretty decent to non residents. Consider this; you have as good a chance as anyone else to draw over here, even in our best units. It'll be a cold day in you know where before I have enough bonus points, at $150 a year, to draw a quality rifle elk hunt in AZ right? No sour grapes from me, it is what it is, I'll continue to hunt there as I draw or until I can't afford it.

Kevin

Kevin... Well said.. not to mention that $150 is acutally closer to $1,500 because you need about 10 points as a non-resident to get an elk tag...

NM is about as NR friendly as it gets...

J