Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Custom or Home Job?

Deer Processing  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you process your own deer, or have a commercial butcher/game processor do it?

• Cut, grind and wrap my own
    • Have it commercially processed
    • Cut my own steaks, roasts and chili, but take some in for sausage, salami and burger

With all of the recent "who's the best place" posts, just curious here.

Aside from one elk in 1992, all of my elk and deer have been cut up at home.

most processors do a good clean job, but they like to cut the steaks way to thick and don't trim up the fat and sinew and stuff so we do our own. always have. have a big commercial size grinder. my wife has a extra large vacuum packager food saver deal. don't use paper anymore. the tube deal for the burger is great too. bought a tenderizer head to make cube steaks outta them tough dang round steaks, and it does a heck of a job too. it's a lotta work, but at the prices they charge anymore it won't take long to pay for a grinder and other stuff. Lark.

Doing it yourself is the only way to go ! You go to great lengths to take care of your animal out in the field so why shouldn't you make sure it receives the best care all the way to your plate ?

I know the guys over at WGP personally, and have probably taken, or been there with people who have taken 20-30 head of game, and all have came out the same way... Perfect.

I was soured on cutting my own meat at a young age.... so I usually have the whole thing done..... but on some things I just take my grind meat in to the processor.

I have done both I like to do my own but that is dependent on time permitting...

Chris

I've never had a whole animal processed by someone else. I've taken in some grind in the past, but since I got a heavy duty grinder and 20# sausage stuffer, I do everything myself.

So far this year I've processed three antelope, two deer and an elk. :blink: If I'm lucky enough to shoot a deer in AZ before the end of the year, I may take it to a processor.

I have had it done a couple of times because of my back

but we generally do our own.

I have a commercial grinder, saw and vacuum sealer which helps save time.

I am pretty picky about my meat and no shop will do the job as well as yourself.

That is not to say anything bad about them just that they can not spend the time

to do the trimming and work as hard as you will to get every last bit of grind.

Kind of bummed this year because I was out of sausage mix

and my grinder ate a cheap plastic push rod :lol:

The first deer I shot was processed commercially but no more. Do it all and nto that I'm great at it but it's the best way to assure you get your meat and it is cared for like you are going to eat it.

Got a good grinder a year ago and wish I had done that a long time back. Super cool to grind up 30 lbs in less than 10 minutes.

If you pay to have that done buy a good grinder and save the money after 2-3 times you are ahead of the game!