Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Need some info Pinetop

Hi guys just going to a cabin in Pinetop this Christmas sure like to photo some elk can any suggest some roads to check out or where the winter range is. gonna have family with so any info would be great. Thanks

I've seen them a lot on the hawley lake rd. I don't know how much snow is up there or if they will be up there in the winter time. I've seen them up there in summer and early fall. Good luck finding them and share the pics when you get them.

I will be up there as well. Go down the road (261 ?) that goes to Sunrise ski resort. There should be elk on both sides of the road..............Allen...........

+1, there are elk all over the place on the sides of the road there,

FR117 between 260/60 always has a fair amount of Elk on it . Greens Peak , Canero Lake and Whiting's Sawmill to name a few places...

Most of the above advise is golden if we were in the fall. This time of year almost all of those roads are closed due to too much snow, with more on the way. If you want to find elk there will be some on the 45 road that goes from Pinetop to Vernon. East of there if you take the 117 in toward Hidden Meadow ranch you should be able to find some. If you are willing to drive a little further east you can see herds of several hundered in the Nutrioso valley, Sipe wildlife area, or Grasslands wildlife area. PM me if you need more areas to look or want more details.

Aaron