Sign in to follow this  
muleybull

Good Tom

Not sure what he weighed for sure. Thinking around 150. He wasnt as long as some toms, but he was stockier. Felt heavy carrying him out. Especially toward the end, by then he had to be around 350!! ;)

Great looking tom, what kinda dogs you got?

Not to particular on what kind of dogs we will use, as long as they will run lions. Got walkers, blueticks, and black and tans right now.

This was in the Northern half of AZ. I dont think the hunter acutally thought he would see a lion on this hunt. This was the 2nd day, and I guess if your not a lion hunter, watching lion hunters, you might think they are making things up at times. He had done some hunting before, but this was his first lion hunt.

Werent having much luck finding a fresh track so we decided to walk a rim to see if the dogs could pick anything up. The dogs were ahead of us and down the hill when one opened. A couple of the other dogs started opening when we looked up the hill above us and saw a big cave.

We walked up to the cave and couldnt see the back of it. There was a javelina skull laying at the enterence. By then the dogs were getting pretty excited, and working toward us. My buddy picked up a rock and threw it into the back of the cave and a low growl came out. Bingo! How many times does that happen!?

The dogs got up to us and it all broke loose. Eventually the tom came out of the cave, doing a little fighting. Thats always fun to watch a few feet in front of you. He only got about 20 or 30 yards down the hill and had to go up a tree to get away from the dogs.