couesarcher

What do you wear on your feet for a stalk?

Some old and stretched & worn out boot socks over your boots can quite your steps pretty well. two pair if they are thin...they don't last long in the rocks though... usually a day...but hey they are close to goin in the rag pile anyway.

I've used sneaky feet for a few years with success. Just really need to be carefull when your walking in them. You have very little traction. But if its a calm day and theres alot on the line the boots are coming off. I can walk muck quieter in just socks. Really want to try the five fingers idea or something similar tho. I'm tired of having dirty feet full of thorns.

I have used bears feet. They work well but I have a couple of pieces of tanned elk hide left over from a mount that I am thinking of making a pair with. I think that would work well!

My Danner Pronghorn's and thats it. I don't wear any sneaky feet or felt sole's just step heel to toe quietly and pick your step's.

SAME here.....

• Like 1

Tried a few things and the quietest i have found so far is simply some carpet i threaded with some 550 cord even down here in the rocky desert deep pile carpet is unbeatable imho

how the h e l l are you gonna be quite with no shoes on in Az? you don't think the deer is gonna hear ya goin' , OW! DAMMIT!! !#$@%#!!! STINKIN' CACTUS!!!!! Lark.

Oddly Enough, one trick that works well is to put panyhose style nylon socks on before those big ol' wool ones. although the wool ones feel lnnice on your feet and keep them nice and warm, they are also abraisive over a long perio of time. the nylons help to avoid that. also, nylon naturally wicks away moisture from your feet so maybe they will be a degree or 2 cooler in hot weather.... :) good luck!

i used to do the bare feet in wool socks but after trying to put on a stalk in a cholla flat i decided my shoes arnt ever comeing off agin (a little advice never think well i can go slow and pick my way thrue it, trust me you cant and its a verry painfull leson) now i leave the boots on and go very slow and watch my step

Outstanding thread!!! I love the home made oversoles! I'm going to make a set and try them out.

My son and I went out yesterday for his first ever archery hunt (he's 14). We got setteled in about 8 am and started glassing. It didn't take long before I had spotted a herd of Javelina.

Now came the plan of attack, which way to go to get on them. The wind was great yesterday we used it to our advantage, which kept our noice and scent away for them.

We got to what I thought was a ridge away from the pigs, so I deceided to drop our gear, boots and all uncessary eguipment there, we put on a pair a thick wool socks to try and protect our feet. We marked it with my gps so we could come back later.

What I thought was 1 ridge away turned out to be about 5 ridges away.

We finally relocated the herd and now came the point of moving in on them for a shot. It took about an hour to get in close enough for a shot. Just when you think you can take another couple steps we would spot another pig that we didn't see before. We finally got to within 18 yards on a pig, It was a down hill shot, the pig was quartering away and they had no idea we were there. What a rush.

He drew back and took a couple deep breathes and let it fly. The shot was dead on, but since it was a down hill shot he did not compensate for the angle. The arrow struck about 3 inches high.

Then the fun started, they are scattered like a bunch of cockroaches. He turned to me and said where did they all come from.

We searched high and low but could not find his pig.

We are home today because we cannot hardly walk. Our feet are so sore from walking on all those rocks and thorns that are stcuk in our feet. I figured we walked roughly 1 mile on this stalk.

So I am asking for some input on what you guys wear on your feet for your stalks, whether it's deer, elk or javelina.

I figure by Monday our feet should be ready to continue our hunt.

We had an absolute great time on his first archery hunt, even though we did not fill his tag. The opportunity was there.

Terry

Put the socks over your boots.

i used to do the bare feet in wool socks but after trying to put on a stalk in a cholla flat i decided my shoes arnt ever comeing off agin (a little advice never think well i can go slow and pick my way thrue it, trust me you cant and its a verry painfull leson) now i leave the boots on and go very slow and watch my step

+100000

Roosevelt 2008 nice 4x4 with 9 does and a forest of chollas

never again! That was stupid on my part!!!

James