tomgobbler

2 archery javy's

opening morning started with us in the dark trying to glass some pigs we new frequently visited a field, but to no avail, they must of headed out before daylight, lots of sign just no pigs, at the bottom of the field is a really thick brush bile about 70 square yards that you can NOT walk through, thick crap, anyway we know the pigs like to bed up in that thick stuff, so we set up 20 yards down wind of the brush pile hoping there was some in there, my brother and friend set up 10 yards to my right, and me in a bush with the call. About 1 minute into calling 2 heads pock out of the brush, one huge pig and one 3/4 grown pig, the 3/4 grown pig stayes half in and half out of the brush the BIG pig comes out, all bristled up and walkes out into the clearing, My brother has never shot one with his bow, so i wanted him to have first shot, Him and my buddy wes is at full draw, and the big pig keeps walking and looking from me to them all bristled, and i am watching them, the pig and the one in the brush, thinking someone better shoot it before it whirles on them, it comes from 20 to 18 to 15 to 12 to 10 yards and i'm getting nervous at this point ( i guess my buddy was telling my brother to hold off thinking the other pig would come on out and they might get a double) anyway about 10 yards they decide they better do it so my brother lets it fly and of course the arrow zips right through the boiler room and the big whirles and runs back into the brush pile..... lookes like a great hit, blood covering the entire arrow, we give it 20-30 minutes and then crawl in the nasty stuff and find the pig about 40 feet in the brush pile didnt go far at all. Was an awsome stand, with my brother taking his first archery pig, was cool to sit and watch.

the rest of the day found us calling and glassing and hiking lots of country side to no avail.

2nd day found us glassing another part of the mountain side 20 miles away that has been good to me in the years past ( my muzzle loader pig came from there last year) anyway we glassed and glassed for several hours to no avail, lots of draws and country to look at, glassing up 5 different groups of mule deer, with 5 different mule deer bucks, so i finally turn 180 degrees to start glasssing just aa much country to the north instead of the south. about 30 seconds into glassing to the north I say " i've got one" and my brother is like no way, we just glassed the other direction for 2 hours and now 30 seconds into glassing this way you have a pig and i say yep. about half way up this big mountain there is a rim of rockes that jets out for about 200 yards that is a shear 10' bluff. and right uner neath the "small bluff" there is a pig standing milling around. so we watch for a minute and finally find another one so 2 pigs. good enough we just need one. so we devise a plan were i will make a big circle down the side we're on, and make a big loop around and up the other side the pigs are on and i'll get above that bluff of rocks and side hill until i am directly above them, and then my brother will wave to me and then i'll take my pack and everything off and come straight down to the edge of the rim and shoot off of the top of the bluff down into them. great plan, now if i can only pull it off. So down i go, and up the other side, with my brother and my 9 year old son watching all of this unfold. i get to were i think i need to be and my brother waves and so i start my desent to try and get to the edge, it was really slow noisy going, lots of rock and cactus to get through, rubbing on your clothes ect.... i finally got to a few feet of the edge and inchet my way out to the lip and finally located a pig standing 40 yards down and to my left, with making my way through the brush i had came out about 20 feet farther to the side then i wanted. But i think i am okay, but want just a little close shot if i can get it, and i fianlly find the other pig, as it walkes out from behind some brush 20 yards out and to my left with a pretty good down ward angle, and then i spot just under some brush, 3-4 more pigs all bedded up, almost laying on top of each other was kind of cool to see. So anyway i figure the one was a good size and good enough, so i gave him a few seconds to take a few steps and clear brush were i had a good clear shot, he was quarting towards just a little, but there was no brush in the way so i decided it was good enough, so i drew back, settled my 20 yards pin on his shoulder and touched it off, the arrow zipped through and everything exploded, pigs running every direction, whoofing at each other, i watched the one i shot at, as it ran down the hill abour 25 yards and ran into a BIG prickly pair patch and never came out of it. So i bailed of the bluff and made my way down the hill, with pigs still running back and forth and all around and whoofing, and made my way down to were i though he was, and just before i got there he kind of jumped a little and started popping his teath at me, about scared me to death from about 5 feet, be he wouldnt come out of there, he was hurt pretty good. i decided i better go ahead and put another one in him, so i did, and it was all over. with my brother and son watching it all unfold from across the draw, then they came over to give me a hand getting it back down to the bottom to the truck. was prety neat how iut all worked out, it seems like my well made plans always something happens and to screw them up, but it worked out picture perfect, was quite a sight to be standing on the lip of a 10' bluff looking down at them with no idea that you are around was really cool.

anyway piture to follow latter,

good luck to the rest of ya

tommy

Great writeup!

4-5 years ago I was ontop of a ridge and could hear rocks moving every couple minutes for 20 min. Figured I better go out on the edge and look into the canyon and see where it was coming from. Get to the edge, don't hear anything...then I hear it again...RIGHT below me. Look down and three pigs were dogpiled asleep. Shot was 9'...couldn't make out what was what, so I just aimed at a collar...man they exploded when I hit that one! They kept milling around too...till I walked off the ridge.