Sign in to follow this  
bradne

Camera Thief gets caugt

Since Trail Camera Theft is always a hot topic here, here is a story in Louisiana where someone was actually caught and it appears they are being prosecuted for the theft as well as trespassing.

link

Suspected thief claims he was protecting animals

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 8:23 AM MST

Updated: Dec 18, 2009 3:24 AM MST

DENHAM SPRINGS, LA (WAFB) - A land owner used a decoy camera to help catch a man suspected of stealing other digital game surveillance cameras from his property in Livingston Parish. After his arrest, the man reportedly told detectives he took it to stop the owner from hunting in the area.

Dustin Archibald, 21, of Denham Springs surrendered to Livingston Parish sheriff's deputies on Thursday. According to investigators, he was photographed around noon the previous day "taking the bait."

When presented with the photograph (See Below), which deputies said clearly shows him with the camera in his hand, Archibald allegedly told them he was not stealing the camera but taking it so the property owner would not hunt the deer in the area. Detectives added the incriminating photo also shows Archibald's dog and a "No Trespassing" sign in the background.

Deputies said the problem began in November when four cameras were stolen from the victim's property near Denham Springs. He decided to set up a decoy and place another surveillance camera in position to snap pictures of any potential thieves. The land owner called the sheriff's office and showed them the photograph of the suspect.

Archibald was identified as the culprit and turned himself in to authorities. He was booked into the Livingston Parish Detention Center on one count of criminal trespassing and one count of theft. His bond was set at $10,500.

The difference being, that was private property (posted) and most of us put ours on public.

I'm glad to see someone finally got caught. I had my first trail cam stolen on this years elk hunt and then talked to an elk hunter who confessed to me he had found a camera and took the chip out to view, since it wasn't locked, and then put it back in the camera. He said there wasn't anything interesting on it. He didn't know he was talking to the owner of it. I explained to him very politely that if it doesn't belong to him then he shouldn't be messing with other people's stuff. I explained had he done this to someone else's tuff and was caught just looking, the outcome might not have been pretty, to say the least. We exchanged names and shook hands. Hopefully I helped this person to be more respectfull towards other's property. :)

TJ

TJ,

If we could all be so gentleman about that kind of stuff we would all be better for it, I do believe we create alot of our own problems as hunters. Well done......

+1