oldboy

Unit 32 Mule Deer ?

I feel like such an idiot with my hunting partners. We have hunted the Unit 32 whitetail hunt for the past 6-7 years. We back pack in and just love it. We've had such awesome wilderness hunts and enjoyed pretty good success. However I put in for all of us this year and mistakenly put the hunt numbers for the Oct 28th mule deer hunt on our application. Well we pulled the tag. I' ve never had any interest in cruising around in those low desert foot hills for carp, but it looks like I will be. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to go in unit 32? I don't need specifics, just " foot hills around Klondyke" or "down south by the winchesters". I've killed six whitetails down there but never have seen a mule deer since we always hunt high.

I appreceate your help

Oldboy

love the area. To close to my heart strings my friend. You should have good success In any of the mule deer country in that unit. I will say this to you. Some of the biggest bucks you will find will run in the black brush. Get on the top of a hill and glass just like you do for coues deer. You will know what I mean by the black brush when you look at it.

You will have to leave some one up high to guide you with radios or some hand signals. As you will not see the deer any more once you are off the hills. You will get a couple quik shots and your stalk will be done for the day.

I can glass up around 10 or 12 bucks a day in that stuff and some of them have eluded us for years.

Good luck finding a spot. And let me know how that info works out in your scouting trips.

Well, one of the best areas for mulies in 32 is closed off now. It has been closed up for over a year now, and G&F is trying to get it opened back up, but as far as I know, it is still closed. It is on the sunset loop, and you have probably been there before if you have hunted 32 a while.

GMM

Yeah and its likely to still be closed if the AZGF doesn't get off their duffs and do something! As it was handed over to them back in March and I still see no results-get on Matt Waltons butt at the AZGF to see if he can be sped up!

I have hunted 32 for years. There are still some 190 inch bucks.Like Arizona Guide said get up high and glass in the flats. You have to have radios with earplugs.If you get lucky and take one of the few Booner Bucks,just remember you can not enter him in the books using radios.

Noel Arnold

What radios, just kidding, I thought they were illegal to be used to guide somebody to an animal while hunting, but I could be wrong, I would check the regs. just to be sure.

Hand signals are OK though right. OH maybe I better look in the regs first. I am with you Enesto. :P

My radio is used for the same thing as all of your radios Guys I swear. Just somthing to hang on my belt to make me look like everyone else.

I don't see how it could be enforced, I just wouldn't want to tell a game warden that I guided somebody into a deer with a radio if it was illegal, there are a few wardens out there that take the laws to the extreme. I think most people who carry radios just carry them so they know each others location, right, even if you might just mention that there is a deer fifty yards to their left, that is for their protection from a wild animal.

For the purpose of entry into the Boone and Crockett Club?s? records, North American big game harvested by the use of the following methods or under the following conditions are ineligible:

I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the purpose of pursuit and shooting;

II. Herding or chasing with the aid of any motorized equipment;

III. Use of electronic communication devices, artificial lighting, or electronic light intensifying devices.

Not that I care, not that any of you care, not that anyone would find out but never lie about it. Just muscle up, admit you used a radio and go do like the high fenced and zoo animal shooters do and enter it in SCI, heck the buck could have been tied to a tree and hand fed for a month and SCI will welcome it with open arms. You would be suprised who listens to radio traffic out in the field and how many people might actually know if someone guided you with a radio to said trophy. I am not here to argue the ethics of radios, but apparently the way I read the above from the B&C websight, using a radio might or could be construed as an "electronic communication device".

Bret M.

By reading that I would also think that some bow sights would fall under that too, aren't there some bow sights with electronic lighting. I think it looks like lawyers have gotten into everything, too many rules and not enough rules, politicians and lawyers deciding for us how to hunt and it will only get worse if we let it.

The trophy books have their regs and rules like that for radios, and I believe the Pope and Young Club just changed the let-off rules for compound bows - because everybody was breaking that rule and lying about it.

It is not illegal to use radios to hunt in Arizona.

My, my, how quick some of us are to jump down the throats of our Game Dept.!

The people that lash out at law inforcement are the people that are breaking the laws; or at least reserving the right to do so if the laws don't agree with their personal ethics (or lack thereof).

Read the rules! You might find out that you are a law abiding citizen, and you don't have to be looking over your shoulder. It feels great to be a "good guy".

Mike

Whatever happened to just going hunting having a good time using the skills and knowledge you have learned from being out there or skills and knowledge that have been passed along from family and friends. Using your knowledge of an animals behavior and habits that you have gained by doing some dare I say it good old fashioned hard work in the field, and by putting some miles on your boots. All this new technology although legal comes down to hunter ethics and your own personal ethics. All the chute planes, trail cameras, spotlights yes they are legal even during hunting season, radios, deer cocaine salt potions, etc. are all unethical in my book, and would take the enjoyment out of it for me. I don't begrudge any that choose to partake, but the technology at some point reaches a point of diminishing returns, everyone has to decide for themselves what that point is.

Whatever happened to just going hunting having a good time using the skills and knowledge you have learned from being out there or skills and knowledge that have been passed along from family and friends. Using your knowledge of an animals behavior and habits that you have gained by doing some dare I say it good old fashioned hard work in the field, and by putting some miles on your boots. All this new technology although legal comes down to hunter ethics and your own personal ethics. All the chute planes, trail cameras, spotlights yes they are legal even during hunting season, radios, deer cocaine salt potions, etc. are all unethical in my book, and would take the enjoyment out of it for me. I don't begrudge any that choose to partake, but the technology at some point reaches a point of diminishing returns, everyone has to decide for themselves what? that point is.

Wetmule,

I have to disagree w/ your post on methods of hunting. I personally have spent many hours,miles and bootrubber in the field scouting for big bucks and areas that hold good deer sign. I thoroughly enjoy the suspense and adrenaline I get from checking my trailcamera and finding out what bucks roam the country I have spent so much time scouting. I enjoy comparing this bucks growth with last years bucks growth, studying a bucks markings and traits so that I can recognize them in the stand. It is nice to sit in a treestand knowing that a 100" buck is in the area and knowing that you have worked so hard to have his movements patterned. I hunt scrapes,rubs, water and salt with my bow and can tell you from a lot of experience that these methods require dedication and a LOT of hard work or they will be fruitless. It is much easier and more effective to go out and glass up a big buck and shoot him w/ a rifle than using these methods you are criticizing. Glassing up and shooting carp like you've done for the past 20 years with a rifle and guiding is a great accomplishment Wetmule, but go and kill a good buck with a bow using these methods and you may not be so quick to call it unethical. Everyone is different and enjoys different methods of hunting. Remember also that there are many different types of terrain. I would be crazy to hunt the areas I hunt using a glassing and spot and stalk method. I also enjoy the spot and stalk method and if and when I draw a rifle tag, that is the method I prefer.