Sign in to follow this  
elpepe25

Hate to be "that guy" but.....

Im looking to hunt Turkeys in NM this spring w/ over the counter tags and was wondering if any yall could point me out a unit w/ a decent number of birds and allows 2 turkey take.

Thanks,

Rob

Well if you are looking for a 2 bird limit that pretty much elimantes any of the SW units. Sounds like you are going to have to go over towards Cloudcroft area. There are good numbers of birds over there, but get ALOT of pressure. Other than that you could head to the northern part of the state. Sorry I couldnt help more, just don't know much about any other part of the state.

jeff

We hunted unit 9 near Grants for elk this past fall. There were turkeys everywhere!

hhhhmmmm two ttags, not unless you hunt two differnt parts of the state to fill your tags, maybe unit 10, then the south western area like 15-16 or 23.

I would heed what is mentioned above and check the regs closely. I believe you can only harvest on bird in a certain zone and then you have to use your other tag in a different zone.

I believe the idea was to keep folks from killing out the majority of a flock at once if they hunt in groups.

I'd be over there myself but my wife and I drew Spring AZ tags. Maybe next year.

cmc

One Turkey Bag Limit Units – Use of First Spring Turkey Tag

Spring turkey hunters may take only one turkey in Units 15, 16, 21, 22, 23 and 24. The first spring turkey tag shall ONLY be valid in the above units. Turkeys tagged with a 2nd Spring Turkey Tag in any of these Units are tagged improperly and are subject to seizure.

Two Turkey Bag Limit Units – Use of Second Spring Turkey Tag

Spring turkey hunters may take two turkeys in the open portions of Units 4, 5, 6A, 6C, 7, 9, 10, 12-14, 17, 18, 20, 29, 32-34, 36-49 and 51-59. The first spring turkey harvested may be tagged with either the first or second turkey tag in these units. However, the second turkey tag cannot be used to tag a turkey in those Units with a one turkey bag limit (15, 16, 21, 22, 23 or 24).

Hope this helps,

--Bill