bwhntr

Bow killed bobcat

I did not fill my deer tag this weekend, but I arrowed this cat as it was growling and stalking me while i was sitting behind a deadfall. What a rush!

post-3174-1263997072_thumb.jpg

I agree with dchamsr06, growling and stalking do not go together - not to scare you - I have just heard a lot about rabies lately.

I h initially thought it was rabid. I asked taxidermist what he thought when I brought it to him. The at appeared healthy, but young. We concluded that it probably did not know what I was because I was in full camo sitting behind a downed tree with just the top of my head visible to the cat.

Has anyone seen a rabid animal before? Do they always have visible symtoms? How is the testing done? Do they just need a tissue sample?

Thanks for input?

Bwhntr

I don't know if they have adopted a newer method, used to be they had to test the brain and needed the head. I don't know about the county you live in but in Pima County (Tucson) you could drop it off at the Animal Control Center and they sent it over to the University of Arizona and had results back within hours (no charge) - don't know if you can get your skull back or if it is intact (if you want to boil/beetle it).

You could call the Animal Control in your County or the Game and Fish and ask questions. I think there is a time limit for the validity of the test unless the head is frozen? :unsure:

I hate it that you even have to consider it - it is a beautiful cat - Congrats.

Sweet! Congrats! ;)

...I tried to draw on a Yote this weekend.... but he caught me! <_<

Thanks for the info guys! I actually called a AZG&F biologist this am. He picked up the brain from my taxidermist and brought it for testing. I should find out the results tomorrow. I will post the results when I get them.

Craig

555- I tried sending you a pm, but i couldn't for some reason. Thanks for the info.