Sign in to follow this  
Hunting6

Good trip to in Mexico

Well this trip was not like last year, and you could say that I sort of got emotionally attached to the eyegards on this buck.

I was able to take a couple of trips down to the ranch, the first...I spent a week looking for a shooter. That was not to be.

Still Saw alot of deer and you could basically put your glasses in almost any direction and see deer. There were a ton of little 2 points and quite a few 80 inch deer as well, so the future looks extremely well for this ranch.

On the second trip, I knew the weather was going to roll in, and I was hoping to find something before it hit, and based on the stories here, I am glad I did. Nevertheless, almost every day right around 10:00 am, the wind would kick up and blow up to 20 mph, so it was gusty. I got up on Saturday morning and headed out to a large hill where I could glass alot of country. No sooner did it get light when I see a couple of 90 inch bucks chasing does and having a blast showing thier skills off. Then as the morning rolled on, I saw quite a few little bucks, when all of the sudden out of the bottom of this nasty little pocket runs a buck up the hill across from me. As soon as I saw the eyegards on this little monster, I was dumbstruck.

I don't think I have ever seen eyegards this tall on a live deer before. I started to rate him, and I knew he wasn't a huge deer, but those dang eyeguards kept distracting me, and it probably wasn't a good idea to put a spotting scope on him either, but that is what I did. Well at that point, I decided to commit my rifle to a shot. I moved down the hill a hundred yards or so and got into position to shoot. I had to find him again first and that turned out to be an hour long ordeal. I could see his little buddy, and the doe he was chasing earlier, but not him. It was getting to that magic 10:00 am time and the wind was kicking up. I thought I would call it a day and go to another area, so I moved up 20 yards to my back pack, had some water and a pastry, and just basically sat there for a while enjoying the sites. After that I thought I would take one last look at his little buddy again, because nothing seemed to bother him, including the hot sun. sure enough I found him again and then all the sudden I see another pair of antlers moving through the brush. I caught a glimpse of him, and it was the big eyeguard buck. So I ran down to my rifle and set up on him, and this time he was broadside and feeding on a small bit of brush next to a prickly pear. He gave me ample time to slowly squeeze off on the trigger and when the rifle went off, I heard the distinct "Whollup" sound and knew I hit him. I looked for him through the scope and couldn't find him, but the doe that was above him was looking down at the ground in front of her, not to mention was acting very strange. I waited until the doe moved off and hiked down the canyon and up the other side. He was there, piled up right where I made the shot. I haven't put a tape on him yet, but I know he will be under 100" or close to it. I stayed on the ranch for a couple of more days to glass and basically haave fun, then left before the rain hit.

post-777-1264731584_thumb.jpg

post-777-1264731684_thumb.jpg

post-777-1264731778_thumb.jpg

Very nice buck! Congrats on what sounds like an eventful hunt down south.

That's a good looking buck.

I'd love to do that some day....

(Right on Mike!!!!

Nothing like good eyeguards! You recognize the photo above my computer?)

Jim,

I do recognize that picture, and I am glad you put it in a great location too !!!

Hope your doing well and the next time I put another picture together, you will have one of those as well..

(Right on Mike!!!!

Nothing like good eyeguards! You recognize the photo above my computer?)

Jim,

I do recognize that picture, and I am glad you put it in a great location too !!!

Hope your doing well and the next time I put another picture together, you will have one of those as well..

Mike,

It really shouldn't be called a photo ,or picture!!! It's ARTWORK! One of my prized posesions.

Can't start to imagine how much time you put into it. Thanks Again. I'm waiting for the next one. Again congrats on your buck.

Jim

Good job Mike another in a long line of Great bucks... maybe one of these days the things you have taught me will fall into place... or maybe when i learn to shoot straight.. :) Again congrats ona a great buck...