Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

HELP! Need samples from deer harvest for ASU research study!

Hello all and thank you for viewing this post.

I am a wildlife biologist in my senior year at Arizona State University. I have been watching coueswhitetail.com closely for 2 years now and finally have something to post about..

I am currently enrolled in various wildlife nutrition classes, one being a “hands on” lab performing a nutrition analysis on a species of choice (I would obviously choose the one and only Coues whitetail). My intention is to harvest a deer myself this weekend and obtain the blood, urine and fecal samples needed to provide solid documentation illustrating deer nutritional status and habitat quality.

I share this information with you because I need your help! Not to plan on failure for my personal hunt but archery success is obviously very difficult so please if anyone could help obtain these three samples if they harvest a deer or any game species of interest this weekend we can gather valuable information for your hunting area and much more!!

We need 3 ounce samples of both

blood (preferably from heart/pure oxygenated blood)

and urine (easy to obtain from bladder)

A fecal sample as well (from the large intestine near rectum) would also be of essential value

I know this is last minute but all help including broadcast of info is greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing my research on this phenomenal deer species both in the field and the laboratory.

Anyone interested in learning more about the nutrition of these animals.. We are all in this learning together!! Shoot over a pm or post to the thread! And good hunting!

Any question regarding this study or how you can help please call Shea Meyer @ 480-216-9745 or pm username “CouesPursuit”

Sounds pretty interesting. I hope your research goes as planned.

Please post any determinations or results from your work.

I wish I could help but no luck yet.

Go Devils

Had an interesting hunt today.. I have been chasing whitetails for 2 years now, basically I don't care what size the antlers are.. period!! Meat and satisfaction to countless hours of hiking, glassing, gallons of gas, dollars in tags, gear, you all know what I'm talking about! I just want to fly an arrow!

I have been busted on the draw, swirling wind within 60 yards, I'v had deer stay bedded on their knees in patches of evergreen sumac (Rhus ovata) (Sorry I'm a plant nerd, help me get a job I hope) until sunlight dissipated.. Like any coues whitetail hunter bad stalk plans needing to learn from mistakes etc etc.. I've had 10+ close encounters. But today was even closer.

Saw a spike and a doe 250 yards from road elevated chaparral/desertscrub started my stalk not til 4 pm!

Wind: Ideal! straight from eastern deer location

Spike was on the right, 40 yards or so from the ridge finger.. Doe left bedded away!

Took one hour extremely quiet stalk well executed came over ridge started to hear that infamous whitetail weez!! I hate that dang sound as exhilarating as it is! But this weez was different.. very light, 5 repetitions with long pauses.. He wasn't fully busted!

Just so happen (even though i looked around as best as i could prior to the stalk with my binos) 4 other does were below and left of my 2 first spotted.. They must have saw my movement coming over the ridge for the shot while dialing in yardages..

I waited 20 minutes, quietly the does settled back down from staring in my direction and the weezing finally stopped (from a location I knew was just beyond a juniper concealing my entire movement).. I watched the does actively feed again then bed and I went over the ridge with bow drawn where I knew the spike was standing 46 yards (I have practiced this distance) The 2 deer were staring at me broadside while I was drawn and I stared at what I was 90% sure was the spike pin almost set... I couldn't verify antlers!!! For 20 seconds they stared, I steadied.. The one I thought was the spike was stomping his hoof pissed off and I still couldn't see those little eruptions the sun was behind the mountain by now! eventually all the whitetails flagged the weez was louder than ever and once again.. Haunting dreams.. The routine.

Anyway I call this hunt successful. I could have taken a shot at a coues whitetail spot and stalk. Every time it's closer.. and closer.. Anyone out there hunting get it done tomorrow!!!!

Hi C P ,

You might try contacting Mike at hunt4lifemike@gmail.com and tell him what you need posted at Clints Well, Mormon Lake and Forest Lakes as he comes in contact with a

majority of the hunters at the field level there. You might also reach him at 480 788-3337... the main plant at Santan Valley .... 7am to 5pm , he's usually there at 6:30am and 5:30pm

and might answer if you tell him your working with the department and will call him back in a minute ...over the answering machine.. 788 stu..3337 ffer you have to call him back the second time.

• Like 1

Hi C P ,

You might try contacting Mike at hunt4lifemike@gmail.com and tell him what you need posted at Clints Well, Mormon Lake and Forest Lakes as he comes in contact with a

majority of the hunters at the field level there. You might also reach him at 480 788-3337... the main plant at Santan Valley .... 7am to 5pm , he's usually there at 6:30am and 5:30pm

and might answer if you tell him your working with the department and will call him back in a minute ...over the answering machine.. 788 stu..3337 ffer you have to call him back the second time.

Back and reading this post 3 years later, I ended up taking a fox out of four peaks and doing the analysis on it. Thank you to those who responded on this!

The only blood measure out of ordinary was high level of creatinine, indicating she was catabolizing muscle protein for energy. But overall she was healthy and it is a common transition for an animal at the end of winter (I harvested her in March)

I am a wildlife biologist in my senior year at Arizona State University. I have been watching coueswhitetail.com closely for 2 years now and finally have something to post about..

I am currently enrolled in various wildlife nutrition classes, one being a hands on lab performing a nutrition analysis on a species of choice (I would obviously choose the one and only Coues whitetail). My intention is to harvest a deer myself this weekend and obtain the blood, urine and fecal samples needed to provide solid documentation illustrating deer nutritional status and habitat quality.

I share this information with you because I need your help! Not to plan on failure for my personal hunt but archery success is obviously very difficult so please if anyone could help obtain these three samples if they harvest a deer or any game species of interest this weekend we can gather valuable information for your hunting area and much more!!

A fecal sample as well (from the large intestine near rectum) would also be of essential value

I know this is last minute but all help including broadcast of info is greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing my research on this phenomenal deer species both in the field and the laboratory.

Anyone interested in learning more about the nutrition of these animals.. We are all in this learning together!! Shoot over a pm or post to the thread! And good hunting!

I am going to be going through the same thing at ASU to become a Wildlife Biologist. Any advice I can get from you would be greatly appreciated

I am currently enrolled in various wildlife nutrition classes, one being a hands on lab performing a nutrition analysis on a species of choice (I would obviously choose the one and only Coues whitetail). My intention is to harvest a deer myself this weekend and obtain the blood, urine and fecal samples needed to provide solid documentation illustrating deer nutritional status and habitat quality.

I am going to be going through the same thing at ASU to become a Wildlife Biologist. Any advice I can get from you would be greatly appreciated

pm me if you would like