Sign in to follow this  
redskin

questions

January hunt over for me and no buck. Have had some success with a bow (javelina, coyote, rabbit) but still no deer. I have strictly used the spot and stalk method which has really created only two good opportunities for me. Ocotillo branch redirected arrow flight on a 40 yard shot and a doe messed up a 30 yard opportunity. Otherwise usually end up being busted as I close the gap between 100yd. to 40yd. Have made many mistakes and think i've learned from them, cause I really don't make same mistake. I guess there are just a lot of mistakes that can happen and I'm covering them all. My questions to you guys are these.

1.What has been your most successful method (tree stand, blind, still hunting, spot stalk etc.)

2.Which hunt have you had the best success (January hunt, velvet hunt, end of year hunt)

My previous posts have strictly been to get as much knowledge from the experts as possible. They haven't been for judging or to start an argument amongst readers. Have found a lot of useful info on this site and would just like more. Gotta score on a buck! :)

I juse spot and satlk and sitting a ground blind.

The best sucess I have had is in August. I think they are used to not being hunted for months...But it does not take long for them to remember us...

Good luck

I have had equal success on both the January and August hunts . Spot and stalk has worked the best for me on the January (rut) hunt as the deer are constantly on the move . Tree stands and Ground blinds have been the most productive for me in August as the deer have more of a set routine and tend to frequent the same trails , salt licks and water holes during that time of year. I hunt almost exclusively in 27 and this is what works for me but may be the complete opposite where you live . Every place varies a bit ...

I have had equal success through the seasons and I spot and stalk only. I prefer this method because I see much more deer behavior and learn more from them. The hardest part is that instead of waiting for a great opportunity out of a ground blind or tree stand, which would typically yield higher successes, you have to create your own opportunities and that means blowing more stalks that you are successful at. I guess that's what makes victory that much more for me. I used to hunt ground blinds when I first started bowhunting and I do enjoy that as well, but again I just didn't see as many deer or learn very much from them.

Being busted between 100-40 yards is very common, even getting within 80 yards is an accomplishment in and of itself and you should be proud of that. Good luck in the future.

Ian

With a little (or a lot) of prescouting... time afield, as well as trail cams... you will find that blind hunting in August is the easiest time to connect on a coues buck for sure.... if it is hot and dry. ;)

January hunt over for me and no buck. Have had some success with a bow (javelina, coyote, rabbit) but still no deer. I have strictly used the spot and stalk method which has really created only two good opportunities for me. Ocotillo branch redirected arrow flight on a 40 yard shot and a doe messed up a 30 yard opportunity. Otherwise usually end up being busted as I close the gap between 100yd. to 40yd. Have made many mistakes and think i've learned from them, cause I really don't make same mistake. I guess there are just a lot of mistakes that can happen and I'm covering them all. My questions to you guys are these.

1.What has been your most successful method (tree stand, blind, still hunting, spot stalk etc.)

2.Which hunt have you had the best success (January hunt, velvet hunt, end of year hunt)

My previous posts have strictly been to get as much knowledge from the experts as possible. They haven't been for judging or to start an argument amongst readers. Have found a lot of useful info on this site and would just like more. Gotta score on a buck! :)

It doesnt sound like your doing much wrong... Thats hunting. My dad has told me a million times on blown stalks... "Thats why they call it hunting and not killing." I am a spot and stalk guy and occasional ground blind or tree stand. I have had better success in august but have also done well in January also.

Redskin, I have been bowhunting coues for three years so I am still a novice. My best success has been in the August hunt in a double bull blind. I have shot one and my son missed two. Spot and stalk we had two misses this January. I truly believe spot/stalk on a coues is one of the toughest of all bow kills. I hope you get one this year.............Allen Taylor..........

i spot and stalk with some sucses, but my favorite is if i know the area and the trails ill try to cut them off, kinda like elk huntin, it dosent always work but when it does its nice cals ther comin to u so thers less of a chance of being busted cals ur not mooving, dont know if its the best tacktic but its something ive ben doin for a few years and have had suckses with it. as for time of year i like january the deer are mooving