Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Bad Weather Bobcat

The wife and I went out and braved the nasty weather in search of a Fox or 2. We had a few dry stands, and got caught in a few rain/snow showers. The roads were too muddy to get to the areas we wanted to hunt, so we headed back towards the truck. I decided to make one last stand near a running creek where we had seen some cat tracks on the way in. After a short walk we found the only open area we could setup. We sat next to each other with the FX-3 and decoy about 15yds in front of us. About 23min into the stand, the batteries on the FoxPro went dead. I decided to sit for just a few more minutes, and it paid off. Four min after the call died I spotted this big Tom looking at us through the brush from only 20ft. I was trying to point him out to my wife, but he turned to leave. I leaned out around her, and shot him with a load of Federal 3.5in 1-5/8oz of Heayweight BB's. This is only my second called Bobcat. We snapped a few pictures and got out of there just before the worst of the storm hit. He weighed 20lbs and was 30in long.

Tracks

DSC01632.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

The view from where we sat. The back of the clearing was only 22yds. You can see the decoy and the call in the far left side

DSC01620.jpg

Looking from our spot towards the cat. You can see him through the brush.

DSC01621.jpg

DSC01624.jpg

DSC01627.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

did you see how the cat reacted to the Mojo? I just got mine about a week ago.

Casey,

I don't think he ever saw the decoy. I can't be sure, but following his tracks back to where he came, it looks like he never came into the clear before he saw us. The call had been off for more than a minute before he came on in, so he probably never looked towards the call or decoy. I think if the call had been on he may have come right in. Funny thing was, we made a stand about 400yds away from this one about 2hrs earlier. I think the tracks we saw were from this cat comming to that stand, but I broke the stand too early. When we made the 2nd stand I knew he was in the area, so I switched sounds and stayed on stand longer. All that to say, I don't think he saw it. It works great on Foxes though. For the money, I think its a good one.

did you see how the cat reacted to the Mojo? I just got mine about a week ago.

Casey,

I don't think he ever saw the decoy. I can't be sure, but following his tracks back to where he came, it looks like he never came into the clear before he saw us. The call had been off for more than a minute before he came on in, so he probably never looked towards the call or decoy. I think if the call had been on he may have come right in. Funny thing was, we made a stand about 400yds away from this one about 2hrs earlier. I think the tracks we saw were from this cat comming to that stand, but I broke the stand too early. When we made the 2nd stand I knew he was in the area, so I switched sounds and stayed on stand longer. All that to say, I don't think he saw it. It works great on Foxes though. For the money, I think its a good one.

CONGRATS.. nice cat.. If you don't mind me asking.. where did you guys got the decoy from and for how much?