Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

New Binos Which Ones?

So I've been wanting ot get a new set of Binos and have narrowed it down to something in the 300-400 dollar range. Any suggestions? Thoughts? I have been looking into Either ZEN RAYS ED2 10x43 or Some Vortex in a similar 10x42. What do you think??? Remember my price range thats all I can come up with cause I already know that leicas Swaros and zeiss are great but I'm not a Rockafellow. I appreciate all the help of the Coues community.

I'd take the Zen ED2s over the Vortex Razors. I did a direct comparison and chose the Zens. My review is in a past post.

Red Rabbit yours was one of the better reviews i have read on the ZENS I appreciate the insight. Maybe you know where I can put my hands on some locally in the valley?

I know for a fact the razors are some good glass, ive used 12x50s and 10x50s. I was gonna suggest the nikon monarchs for the $ but i remembered RR liked the Zens. I still need to look through a pair

The Zens have 30 day return policy, so if you do not like them (which I doubt will be the case), you can ship them back for a refund. You can order directly from Zen-Ray. I do not know of store-front retailer that carries them yet.

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?mai...products_id=252

You can also order from SWFA

http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Zen-ED2-Binoculars-C2703.aspx

I believe Doug at CameraLand posted recently that he was trying to get set up to sell Zens.

So I've been wanting ot get a new set of Binos and have narrowed it down to something in the 300-400 dollar range. Any suggestions? Thoughts? I have been looking into Either ZEN RAYS ED2 10x43 or Some Vortex in a similar 10x42. What do you think??? Remember my price range thats all I can come up with cause I already know that leicas Swaros and zeiss are great but I'm not a Rockafellow. I appreciate all the help of the Coues community.

I know these are out of your price range a little, but if you're looking for glass to sit on a tripod, I'd very, very strongly suggest saving a few extra dollars & getting the Minox 15x from Doug at Cameraland. I've bought many pairs in the price range you stated (Nikon Monarch 12x, Alpen 12x, & a set of Zeiss Conquest 12's that are way out of that range), but none of those are even close to the Minox binos & the new price of $550 is pretty much the greatest steal of a deal on the planet. They were originally selling for over $1000. Here's a link. That havig been said, the Nikon Monarch's were my next favorite pair & those were $440 for the 12x's. I liked the 12's so much that I bought another pair of 10x's to hang around my neck for $250 at Cabelas. I think the quality of the Monarchs is way out of their price range & they come w/ a 25 year no-fault warauntee. My glassing system now consists of Monarch 10's around my neck & the Minox 15x's & a spotter in the pack.

I really want to go with the ZENS but my issue is not being able to touch them first. I guess I can trust someone who has a wirehaired pointer for his pic ;) That is unless someone has something bad to say about them.

Mattys I wish I could spend more but I don't want my wife to feel entitled to something in return after all the convincing it took to turn her on to spend that much.

I really want to go with the ZENS but my issue is not being able to touch them first. I guess I can trust someone who has a wirehaired pointer for his pic ;) That is unless someone has something bad to say about them.

Mattys I wish I could spend more but I don't want my wife to feel entitled to something in return after all the convincing it took to turn her on to spend that much.

In that case, I'm not familiar w/ the other brands discussed, but I've really liked the Monarch 12x's. They're light weigth & seem to be really high quality for their price, plus the warantee. i believe you can find a NIB set of them for your $400 mark.

I would save some extra $$$ by buying a pair of the Minox BF 10x42 BR's from Doug at cameralandny.com. I decided to buy a pair after all the great reviews, and I have to say that for the money you would be hard pressed to find anything close to them. $139.99 :o I have brought them into work and showed them to a lot of my hunting buddies who use all the top glass. Everyone was very impressed with the quality

I also plan on gettigna set oF ZenRay's

I sent a PM to Doug at cameraland and he can get them for you.

The price he told me was below what is on ZenRay's site :D