Sign in to follow this  
hunter

left over tags 30A & B

I did not draw a tag for anything this year (congrats to those who did). I am thinking of putting in for one of the left overs, but all the things I hear about 30A & B are all bad. Some one please tell me there is some hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is hope there can be good bucks in there but the problem is private property from what I have heard so you would need to be careful.

I second that motion. Watch out for those Klumps!

Any free tag with no bonus points being taken away is probably worth going after. The hunts can be very tough but with plenty of scouting you should have no problem harvesting a buck in 30A or 30B.

I picked up a 30A tag a few years ago and ended up hunting in the Dos Cabezas (east side) and down in the SE corner of the state in Skeleton Canyon. I have heard though that the road into Skeleton Canyon is now closed. It is worth picking up a tag and doing some scouting.

Is it still possible to get to Skeleton Canyon by driving from NM and coming in from the east side? Limited access would make the hunt better, IMO.

My first coues, a nice 97"er, came from Skeleton. Is the sign for Geronimo's surrender still behind the ranch south of Apache?

RR

I wonder how many people that get this tag end up gettin a deer?

I have this tag and will not use it this year. It is my last choice every year. It used to be my first. I think i have killed about 10 deer in that unit. I could go this year and kill a deer , but I will not Because I am going to be up for the elk hunt in november the last week end of thye hunt. I have shared many time my filling on this unit ( 30B) You can kill a deer ther no doubt but how hard do you want to work for a nice buck In an area that you may not get in to very easy. I know spots that used to hold 100 + inch bucks in almost every canyon .One year we saw four bucks together that would make you Shake tell you shot and missed with buck feever.

This area will hold bucks like this again because it is hard to get into. I give it about three more years and I will be glad to put it as my first choice. I know there are big one there and hope they get busy this rut and make some more bucks.

I drew the Nov. 30A on my last choice this year and I will hunt it. I have hunted this unit for a lot of years and had good success but with a lot of work. The limited access makes it possible to get away from your average weekend warrior if you are willing to put the effort in.

You still can get into skeleton canyon but by walking in. The main road coming in from Douglas is still open but locked at the ranch. The same is true with the Dos Cabezas if you don't mind the hike.