Sign in to follow this  
PSEps

Barbary Sheep

I got this decent barbary sheep on Feb. 6. Definitely not a monster, but it was my first time hunting these, and the first day I was able to hunt. ;)

Sorry couldnt get picture to post. But here it is

post-3756-1266795792.jpg

Well the hunt started on Febuary 1st, but I was unable to get out for the first week of the hunt. On Friday the 5th we pulled the camp trailer up to a spot we knew held some sheep. On saturday we woke up around 5:30 and drove down the road about 2 miles. In less than an hour we had a group of about 10 spotted about 2 miles away in a large "bowl". We decided the only way we would be able to get on them would be to drive on the backside of the mountain and come up above them. So we drove all the way around and got ready. The hike was very long and VERY steep. As we eased up to the top looking down on the bowl they were in, we couldn't find them. So we gradually worked the ridge to the next bowl and spotted them at about 260 yards. By the time we spotted them, they had already spotted us. Knowing that they would bust out if we all were to go back out of sight, so we left the rest of the group right there. Me and my dad dropped down onto the backside of the hill, and came up right inline with them. I belly crawled to a little ledge covered in yuccas, and set up the Harris bi-pod I had on my 7mm. I then ranged them at 160. I sat there for 20 minutes waiting for the one I wanted to stand up. My dad then dropped back off the way we had came, to try to cut them off if they went down the ridge after I shot. Finally the sheep stood up and I put the bullet right behind the shoulder. It went about 60 yards and fell down. After taking pictures and field dressing it, I threw it over my shoulders and started the long hike to the bottom. My dad got one about 2 hours after I got mine, only about 2 miles away. This was a very very TOUGH hunt, but well worth it!!!!!!

Thanks Tommy :D And yes we took both on public land

Congrats! Definitely a great trophy. Have my first tag as well this year. Went out for 4 days the first week and never saw a sheep! That's what I get though for not doing any scouting I guess. lol A tough hunt but cool country and did see a few sheep on the ground. Can't wait to hopefully get one one of these days.

Congrats again!

Travis

Just finished the european mount of my sheep. Turned out pretty good.

post-3756-1266890194.jpg

It took about an hour and a half with the water barely at a boil.

Very, very cool! Great picture, shows how steep that hill was! :o Any pictures of your dad's?

Heres my dads. Shot it right before dark, so we were hurrying to take pics and get the sheep taken care of.

post-3756-1266899312_thumb.jpg