Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Cody's Coatimundi

post-754-1266887138_thumb.jpg

Cody left, Dillon right

I only had a day and half I could get out to try and take advantage of a left over pig permit. The outcome was even better than any ol pig could have been. My two sons and my friend Tracy got to our first glassing spot just a tad late and little did we know what an outstanding day we had ahead of us. My youger son Dillon was able to glass this lone coati up from about 1000 yards. The only rifle we had was a 300 win mag and he's still a tad shy of the big guns, so my other son Cody jumped on the oppurtunity to put on the stalk. I thought it was a little crazy considering how far out he was, but Tracy volunteered to take him and I agreed. Dillon and I stayed glassing for pigs while they put on the stalk. Amazingly enough, altleast a half hour later when they were starting to get in close, he had only gone about 10 yards. Tracy took his time and made sure Cody had a good rest and was comfortable with the shot (Thanks T, you da man!!!). Cody was able to connect on his first try from 178 yards and D and I got to watch through the binos. He's 3 for 3 on making good shots on animals. Cody is turning out to quite the shooter for sure.

As if that wasn't enough to make the day a success, we managed to glass up 85 coues deer, 5 goulds all bearded, 1 fox, and 5 coyotes. Oh ya and 1 coati......

85 coues in one day?! Holy crap! Never heard of that before!

Great pic of the coati! Hope you are getting it tanned or something!

Nice Cody! Good job! Sounds like an excellent stalk and shot!!!

What a day. Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated on the next adventure. :)

TJ