SB1200 HR2189  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What do sportsmen think?

• support the bill
    • oppose the bill

The "consumptive" groups are in support of having a board which recommends names to the Governor. We would have open meetings where candidates for Commissioner would be able to plead their case. This Bill is being opposed by the following groups: The Center for Biological Diversity, The Sierra Club, The Animal Defense League, The Arizona Wildlife Federation and several others. The Board by the bill's definition would be comprised of 1 Rancher, 1 from the public at large and 3 from the varying sportsmen's conservation groups. The reason for this bill is that we, who pay for over 60% of the Arizona Game & Fish Department's budget have been relegated to accepting whoever a Governor wants in the position. Governor Brewer has been superb in appointing 2 Commissioners that the Conservation Groups all like. Commissioners Jack Husted and Newly appointed Commissioner John Harris. That could change in the November election if we elect a democratic governor. and then the next 5 appointments would be at the sitting governors will. The proponents of the bill are asking that anyone who has an interest to please let their thoughts be known. What say the CouesWhitetail.com folks?...BonuspointJohn

John (BonuspointJohn) is current president of the AZ Deer Association and serves on a number of boards for the other conservations groups. He is asking for input from sportsmen/women here so that he can take that information to the state legislature on MONDAY. So if you want your vote represented there, please vote by Sunday!

Thanks.

Amanda

here is some more info on the bill from AZ Sportsmen for Wildlife.

SPORTSMEN'S ACTION NETWORK

Newsletter March 1, 2010

OUR MISSION: To make Arizona sportsmen an effective force in determining political, legislative, educational and administrative issues that promote wildlife, wildlife habitat, and continuation of our hunting and fishing traditions.

Protect Our Hunting Heritage by Supporting SB1200 and HB2189!

Dear Arizona Sportsmen and Sportswomen,

Your assistance is needed to help Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife secure the passage of HB 2189 sponsored by Rep. Jerry Weiers and SB 1200 sponsored by Sen. John Nelson. The passage of these identical bills will provide sportsmen with a stronger voice in the future selection of Game and Fish Commissioners by establishing a Game and Fish Commission Appointment Selection Board.

The Board will be comprised of five members including three sportsmen representatives, one representative from the ranching/cattle industry and one public member or a member of a non-game organization, ensuring that sportsmen representation will be proportional to the contribution they make to fund the Game and Fish Department.

The Sierra Club and Defenders of Wildlife are opposing the bill, so it will likely be a very close vote in the House and the Senate. Please call your legislator today and ask them to support the bill.

The importance of this bill cannot be understated. Remember, it only takes three of the five Game and Fish Commission members to totally change the direction of the Department on issues of importance to sportsmen, and to our hunting and fishing heritage.

Call or email your legislator today. We urge you to contact the Senators and Representatives listed at the bottom of this email. A copy of the House bill with amendments that will be attached on the floor is also shown below. Thank you for your assistance. If you have questions please call Suzanne or Casey at 602-712-1121.

Respectfully,

Art Pearce

Chairman, AZSFW Legislative Committee

When I see Sierra Club involved I raise an eyebrow. On the other hand I like seeing us involved (as sportsmen and women). But I am of the school if it anint broke don't fix it.

On that note, what has the track record been of Commissioners appointed using th ecurrent process? One concern would be having three groups sitting on this who typically take up positions which oppose our views and do not our best interests as their objective.

Chris

I would say that i am for these bills but my may concern is this will cause the public to vote on anything to do with hunting. With the apathetic attitude of hunters and fisherman i am very concerned that we may lose more than gain with these bills.

John can you tell me what the chances are that we lose more than gain with this?? Look back to the trapping vote that we all lost because we were all thinking it would never happen and i guess we all stayed home that day and lost that piece of hunting (trapping) history.

I need some clarification on this.

Thanks!

To those who have questioned the "Why"... or if it ain't broke, don't fix it..... For the past 5 years, the conservation groups have stayed away from the Commission meetings in droves. Certain Commissioners either a) loved to hear themselves talk and would expound for hours on what could be said in minutes b.) Would hear no criticisms of the process or their decisions c) Would publicly chastise the representatives of the conservation groups for "not listening" or "you do not represent sportsmen" and d) found themselves enamored w/ the Sierra Club , Defenders of Wildlife, etc.... Almost all were appointees of Governor Napolitano. She would not release the names of her nominees (But the Sierra Club knew who they were) and purposely avoided anyone that the conservation groups would back. The simple part is that we had 5 years of Napolitano and we have had 2 years of Governor Brewer. Governor Brewer has had an open mind, listened to sportsmen and asked our input into who should be Commissioner. If Governor Brewer looses this election, we will be faced w/ a future that has appointments of someone again who does not like the "hook & bullet" crowd. Last but not least..... Sportsmen's dollars PAY THE BILLS FOR THE DEPARTMENT!!!!! Having a commission that listens to the Sierra Club or Center for Biological Diversity and then having us pay the freight is just not what we want. There are no General Fund dollars that pay for the Department. WE DO!!! We pay through our license fees, our self imposed taxes on firearms and ammunition and our donations, banquets, work projects etc. Why shouldn't we have a say in who is our Commissioner?...The 3 groups that would sit on the board would be delegates from a pool of all the Conservation groups that are present in this state. That would include such folks as RMEF, AES. ADA, ABA, AFA, Trout unlimited, Anglers United, Phoenix Varmint Callers, Arizona Predator Callers etc.... And that is why on Monday at the Senate, we need to have responses that support the bill. Commissioner Freeman told Stephanie Nichols Young of the Animal Defense League and Sandy Bahr of the Sierra Club that he wanted "all the stakeholders" to voice their opinions at the meeting on Monday. Please.... pass this information on and if you have any more questions, I will respond all week-end...BPJ

I am in support, as a sportman and worker on a family ranch.

We need to have our voices heard by like like minded sportsman.

If I didn't say it already, I support the bill. It allows those of us who support the AGFD the most (both financially and by volunteer hours) to have the most influence on who gets on the commission.

Amanda

As a life-long resident (native Arizonan), I'm heartedly in support of the proposed bill!