Sign in to follow this  
king4wd

Mr. Heater Big Buddy Heater, any good?

Looking at getting one for my tent trailer and also for using in my shop in winter. They seem pretty good but get mixed reviews online. Has anyone tried one?

I have the smaller one and it works fine. Get the hose and connector to hook it up to a full size tank though. The little green cylinders won't run it very long.

I like mine pretty well - I think it's the older Mr. Heater. It does a decent job warming up smaller spaces. Great for inside a wall tent or small trailer when it's really cold, but I would be careful about ventillation. It's *supposed* to be safe in an enclosed area, but I won't light mine inside without a good air flow.

love the little one it kept the tent really warm on my elk hunt in november it was 17 degrees outside it will do the job one of the nice features is it has automatic shut off so you can leave it run all night if you have to

love the little one it kept the tent really warm on my elk hunt in november it was 17 degrees outside it will do the job one of the nice features is it has automatic shut off so you can leave it run all night if you have to

NEVER LET IT RUN ALL NIGHT!!! Every year there is always a case or two where people die in their sleep from trusting a heater like these to run all night. It's not worth risking your life... pay a little more and get a heavier sleeping bag if you get cold at night, but leaving your heater on is a very bad idea!!!

With that said I love my Mr. Buddy heater! I've taken it on numerous hunts and it has performed very well. I have the smaller version and can usually get 4-5 hours on a can of propane running it at full blast.

I had a Mr. Buddy big buddy heater a few years ago. It was no good-wouldn't stay on. I took it back to Sportsmens and they said they had several returned with the same problem-the oxygen sensors were messed up and would shut themselves off. This problem has probably been corrected since then. Also, at that time it said on the box that they came in not recommended for use above 7000 feet. I ended up getting an olympus catalytic heater-They cost more but I haven't had one bit of trouble with mine and they are safe for indoor use. check them out on the web.

Hey folks - I actually looked at these as well and the price scared me a bit. I picked up a cheapy Coleman heater (the ceramic type) on clearance somewhere and it is fantastic for the pop-up and even tents. I think it was $30 or so and it will run about 7 hours on a little propane tank. I hope that helps?? Good luck

My Mr. Heater rides in the front seat of my truck whenever I am heading out to the boonies if that helps.Like was said get the hose and adaptor to run the big bottle.

My Mr. Heater works great in my travel trailer.Go ahead and buy the in line filter,and use a big tank.You will love it!!!!

Love mine.

It stays in the rig if I'm out hunting/camping just in case I breakdown in the colder months.

That way I can sleep in the truck and not freeze as I've done that before.

I crack a window and leave it on although I too have issues with it at higher elevations. (I have the older model)

I don't have the big tank and filter connections although I've seen it in action and it's a sweet set up.