Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

kimber 22-250

Hi,

Looking for some opinions. I'm doing a side job and the customer wants to pay me with a kimber in a 22-250. Its a pretty gun and I sure it is valued in the ball park for what I need for the job. I've never owned a kimber or a 22-250 for that matter. Any opinions? The caliber seems to load light for anything but varmints, but he said he has used for pronghorn.

Brent

Brent,

I have one, 84M Varmint with the stainless fluted barrel. It is a 1-14 twist, so likes 50 grainers better than 55s. 60 grain Partitions will keyhole. It is a 1/2-3/4 inch shooter for 5-shot groups, as was another Kimber I shot different loads through. Casey/firstcoues also has/had one. His shot a little better, closer to 1/2 inch.

53 gr TSX should be good for coues and antelope. Scottyboy's friend shot a coues at 390 yards with that bullet from a 223 WSSM (similar to 220 Swift). I have shot many TX whitetail with 55 gr Sierras from another 22-250, but most were under 100 yards to the neck.

Kimber triggers are easy to adjust, and I like the stock ergonomics. The regular 84M would balance well, the varmint model is front heavy due to the barrel. No problems feeding from the magazine.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/rifl...4m/84m_varmint/

Doug~RR

I was a big fan of mine, but since I got my AR it just sat in the safe. I was also semi afraid of marking up the stock when ever I took it out as it had a well above average piece of wood on it. It did shoot very very well. My best shot was a 438 yard jack rabbit on film.

If the job is around $1,000 I would accept that as payment.

I had one for a while, it was a beautiful gun, with an amazing trigger. I had a problem with it shooting 6" high on a cold barrel EVERY time... dont know why, tried a few different things, and ended up sending it back to kimber where they rebarreled it. It didn't shoot as good when I got it back, but still shot sub MOA, and didn't shoot high on a cold barrel at least. I ended up selling it, because like was stated before it was just to pretty to take out yote huntin, ended up buying an AR instead, and then another, then another, then another! Just FYI, I think I sold mine used for $750, and remember paying around $900 new for it off gunbroker, if that gives you any idea of what to charge/expect in your trade.

Although not a Kimber, I shoot/hunt with a Savage Model 12VFSS that came with a 1:12 from the factory. This thing is a tack driver. And although some have taken game as large as Elk and Bear with the 22-250 and 220 Swift, I load up either 53gr TSX or 55gr VMaxies for Javelina, Coyotes, Bob Cats, and Deer. I prefer to use the '06 or 50 cal Muzzle Loader for anything larger. The rest of the guns are for shooting.