Sign in to follow this  
Dbllung

Something is wrong with the draw this year.

I know of two guys that put in for tags in units that have leftover tags. One friend put in 4A cow general hunt and didn't draw. Another friend same unit but bull archery. These friends were not rejected, but unsuccessful in the draw. On the game and fish website the list of leftover tags includes those units. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

John

Double check exactly which hunt numbers your friend put in for... Left over tags may be for same unit, same species, same sex, but different dates?

Hope that everything squares up in the end... would hate to have something fishy going on.

almost all the leftover tags are 2800 & 3800 series tags. These tags are for Hopi tribal members only per agreement with G & F.

Double check exactly which hunt numbers your friend put in for... Left over tags may be for same unit, same species, same sex, but different dates?

Hope that everything squares up in the end... would hate to have something fishy going on.

There is only one general cow hunt in 4A.. Only two bull elk archery hunts in 4A and both have leftover tags. I must be missing something. The leftover tags don't have the dates and have weird hunt numbers.

John

almost all the leftover tags are 2800 & 3800 series tags. These tags are for Hopi tribal members only per agreement with G & F.

Thanks for the clarification.

John

All of the hunts starting with 2800 or 3800 are for the Hopi reservation land in those units. If you look at the bottum of the page these hunts are listed but have dashes in place of the hunt number and permit number. The hunt number 3801 is for general bull hunt in November on the Hopi tribel land. These hunts are available to Arizona residents as well as Hopi tribel members (tribel members have first pick). Look at foot note 36 for more detail.

Does anyone have a map of these tribel lands or a boundry discription?

DCM

DCMHunter,

I believe you have misread elk hunting note # 36.

I understand it to say that the agreement opened tribal lands in these units to hunting by non-tribal members who drew regular tags in that hunt unit anyway (giving non-tribal members who drew more area to hunt) in exchange for setting aside a percentage of the tags for these units only for tribal members exclusively to draw.

What's more, I don't see anything in that note saying that the Hopi hunt tags recipients (tribal members only), must hunt only on tribal lands.

That's how I read it anyway. Sure would like G & F to explain the details of this agreement (% of tags set aside, amount of tribal lands and locations that were opened up to non-tribal members, etc.)

G&F draw page says specifically tribal and NON-TRIBAL FOLKS are eligible for leftovers.

Ya, as far as I know a specific number of tags were set aside for Hopi's in exchange for them maintaining access on lands that now belong to them. If they had locked down their property it would have been about twice the area they actually own because of the state land that is checkerboarded in there as well. Since the tags did not go in the regular draw they are now open on the first come first serve basis for anyone that puts in for them. Obviously there are some good tags so the competition will be fierce. Also if you draw the tags you are not restricted to the hopi lands but the unit description that is given.

Aaron

Off the subject, but does anybody happen to know when or if we get another loyalty point soon? Thanks

Off the subject, but does anybody happen to know when or if we get another loyalty point soon? Thanks

Mike,

I have not heard of getting a second LP, just the one for 5+ years of aplying annually for a species.