Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

The Many Faces of the Mittens

Twice a year, the evening shadow of the West Mitten falls across the face of the East Mitten. With this event and clear skies forecast, Rica and I headed north to Monument Valley. Also timed with this was the rising of the full moon, so hopes were to see something special. The scenic loop road within the Monument Valley Tribal Park opens after sunrise and closes before sunset, so the interesting light upon the Mittens was limited to being viewed from the campground area.

Sunday Sunset and the Mitten Shadow.

MonVal28-2010_054.jpg

After the sunset with East and West Mittens, and Merrick Butte with a full moon rising.

MonVal28-2010_065.jpg

Merrick Butte under the snag.

MonVal28-2010_059.jpg

Monday morning sunrise as viewed from the campground

MonVal28-2010_074.jpg

MonVal28-2010_087.jpg

MonVal28-2010_103.jpg

Doug~RR

Beautiful Doug, I always look forward to your pictures and works of art. Thanks for sharing them with us!

I remember back in '89 when Back to the Future III was being filmed there. We took the tribal plane up there to meet Michael J. Fox and watch a few scenes be recorded. quite amazing what the can make look so real....

At the back side of one of the "mittens" was a whole little colony basically. Huge white tents for the dining hall, inside lined with fruits, veggies and fountain drinks all the way around. When you walked in you placed your order for steak and lobster and something else, but at 9 years old after steak and lobster you stop listening!! Great times great people. If I can conjure up some pics of me and the Delorian I'll post'em.

Awesome pictures Doug by the way...but you always have spectacular pictures....

-Jeremy-

The drive through Monument Valley is limited to daylight hours. The road does not open until after sunrise and closes at 5pm during winter hours, so getting the special light at sunrise or sunset is difficult without a "guide"

Here are a few anyway.

The Hub:

MonVal28-2010_005_01.jpg

Three Sisters:

MonVal28-2010_121.jpg

Riders under the Totem Pole:

MonVal28-2010_021_01.jpg

Doug~RR