Sign in to follow this  
Guest bacajwb

Do Coues respond to calls?

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do Coues respond to calls?

• Will Coues Whitetail respond to calls, scents, rattling or
    • any other hunting strategies?

Guest bacajwb

Will Coues Whitetail respond to calls, scents, rattlin, or any other deer hunting strategies?

bacajwb,

Let's find out. People ask about decoys. No answers. People ask about scents. Only speculation. Now a question about calls. I hope somebody knows, but I bet the knowledge won't be overwhelming.

Fact is, we Westerner's have our own way of hunting our Western whitetails, and it don't include any of the above mentioned Eastern tactics.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if bowhunters in particular, start experimenting with these things, that we will start pulling some absolute TOADS out of the higher and thicker (and lower and thicker) country - the country that is too difficult to glass. There's the challenge. Let's get after it and educate ourselves.

Mike

Guest bacajwb

I'm new to this site, so my approach on this information not correct. Anyway, through experience

with the Coues. A bowhunter's best chance is with the weather conditions. A cold, windy, and slight

snow storm allowed for my best and only shot at respectable whitetail. though i have never tried

the eastern tactics, i have suspician that there is something that will assist. The right place at the right

time theory is proven, I welcome all tactics that will allow for legal and succesful whitetail hunt.

I've tried rattleing, grunting, doe bleats (the can), mock scrapes. This is what I have found.

Rattleing- They respond but not like eastern whitetails. It's better if you just rattle the tips. Do not rattle aggressively.

Grunting - works well during pre rut and rut. Will stop a buck in his tracks when he's with does.

Bleats - Most effective way I have found to actually call in a buck, but don't tell anyone ;)

Mock scrapes- not effective. Coues deer don't visit scrapes as often as easterns.

Most important thing when hunting Coues deer with a bow IMO is scent control and knowing wind direction.

Tommy

I agree with Tommy. Coues will respond to rattling and calls. And in addition, Coues deer will also come into distress calls of other species that are used to lure in predators (rabbits, javelina, etc). I know several predator hunters who tell me that both does and bucks will come into their calls.

Amanda

I have seen them come to rattling and predator calls. They especially freak out when the Johnny Stewart "Fawn in distress" noise starts bleating. I have seen them almost trample the speaker and refuse to leave even after they have seen me, it makes for some good photo oppertunities sometimes.

Bret M.

On my hunt last year I watched from a long distance as a good buck visited a scrape located under a large mesquite tree. He walked several hundred yards across very open, flat terrain to get to it. He spent a few minutes there pawing dirt and such. He even licked and rubbed the overhead branch just like eastern whitetails do.

I didn't think it was worth waiting over this one scrape for him to come back during daylight hours. I just didn't think that rutting Coues deer are as scrape oriented and habitual as eastern whitetails.

Do any of you hunt scrapes? Is it worth the wait?

Chris Darnell

Thanks Tommy, Amanda, Bret, and Chris,

I figured somebody out there's gotta know something - just ain't tellin'. Thanks for tellin'.

Tommy, your info sounds exciting. I've got antlers, and a good grunt call. Do you mind telling the whole world what you use to bleat with? ( or e-mail me? ;) ).

Looks like I'm gonna be able to carve out some time in Dec/Jan to go learn.

This is good stuff.

Mike

Guest bacajwb

Thanks for your replies and most interesting information. I guess its time to try a few of the eastern

tactics. Total newcomer to any deer calls or rattlin, I guess its time to do a lil research. January can't

come soon enough. thank you,

John

Last year I tried a grunt tube by carlton and it was a modified one specifically lower in volume for sitka blacktails. It seemed to perk the interest of a couple coues bucks in late december down in Mexico, but it did not make them come running looking for a fight. I have tried it elsewhere here in AZ but havent seen any great activity.........I havent rattled or used scents, I just watch the wind and am real careful on attempting to keep my clothes as free as possible from smells...........Allen.......

I have had the best success with Bleat calls. I was with someone who tried in desperation to stop a buck from feeding the wrong way by sounding off with his own version of a predator call. It worked! Sort of!

the deer stopped? looked around, and moved a different direction till he winded the real source of the noise.

I have moved in to 40 yards by staying low on all 4s and grunting. I think if I tried that now, the grunting would be more natural since I was in better shape a number of years ago. ;)

I also agree, A little goes a long way. these deer cand tell an over-eager hunter from a real noise. Once they are on to you, pack it in cause they will be on guard for some time!

Tommy,

Just yesterday I ordered the Primos can before reading your last entry. I like it when things like that happen. I also ordered some doe in heat scent. I think Amanda is correct in thinking that this scent should work. The Coues deer is a sub-species, not a different species (I have never understood any difference between sub-species and race). It seems a bit strange to pay such a high dollar for deer pee! Cost way more than gasoline! But not as much as Channel #5 - which by the way, luers me every time.

I'm with y'all on the easy callin. Over calling makes you identifyable. Under calling keeps them guessing - at least with my experience with turkeys and elk. Kinda exciting aint it, this prospect of calling deer?

Mike

Here is a fact! Coues deer do react to calls. The last archery Coues buck I killed was at about 5-yards. I had called this buck in when I sat up pretty close to a herd of does. The buck came in acting like he was ready to fight. I have also used this call down in Mexico and had exceptional results. The is the Coues deer call by Modern Call Products. It is a hands free call and in my opinon this call is trully awesome. One of the big things that I think that helps out when you are using this call is you need to get within 100-200 yards of the buck you are after. Give MCP a call or go to the website. The phone number is 800-386-3187 and site is WWW.ModernCallProducts.COM.

Good Luck and kill a big one. See you all in 18-months.

Louis Urquides

TEAM AZOD

United States Army

I've never used scents as a lure. I have gotten some buck 69 and added ten drops with water in a small mist bottle and used it as a cover scent. I don't know if it works but as far as a scent cover anythings better than my scent. ;)