Sign in to follow this  
glacial21

6A West archery bull tag

I'm a brand new member who stumbled across this site while doing some research for an upcoming AZ elk hunt. I was recently surprised with an archery bull tag for unit 6A west. Since I live so far away (S.Dakota) I am going to have to rely on long-distance research and some help from others to make the most of this tag. There's lots of info on the web about 6A N and 6A S, but not so much on 6A W. I'll be hunting and camping solo and will be in the unit for the full 14 day season. I'm going to give this tag 100%.

Is there any chance a couple of you might be willing to share some general tips or answer some questions? I've already bugged Redrabbit and JLW, but thought I'd put this out for the whole group. I've been going through a lot of old posts here and it looks like there are a lot of good people on the site. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sam

Welcome to the site Sam!! :) I'll be across the street in 6AN. Sounds like you've already reached-out to some good contacts!! ;) LONG way from SD! Are you going to try to do a scouting trip?

Good luck to you! Stay in touch with the folks on this site as your hunt approaches, and you'll likely make some friends....

S.

:)

Thanks for the reply stanley. Good luck in 6A North. I've sure read a lot of good reports about that part of the unit over the past month.

I don't think a scouting trip will be possible. It's just too far. I'm going to need to use a lot of vacation time just to hunt the full 14 days of the season.

Well if you can't scout, at least you can take the entire 14 days for the hunt!!! With a little 'pre-scouting' type of effort such as this site, Google Earth, AZGF Site, and others, you should be just fine!

Stay tuned into this site! Listen to Doug and other Flag locals.... ;)

S.

:)

Google Earth my friend!!! Find a hill away from roads and glass. I guarantee you will see some elk. Highest density of elk in any unit in the state.

Thanks for the tip, RoughCut. I've definitely heard that the elk density is high in 6A, but I am having a hard time confirming if that is the case in the "West" part of the unit.

Are the visibilities great enough that bringing a spotting scope would be worth the trouble? Very little of my previous elk hunting has been done in a place where anything more than binoculars are needed, but I've never hunted pinion/juniper.

As others have already mentioned, elk herds in Arizona are very healthy and you shouldn't have any problem locating them. My advise to you would be, if you can't spair time to scout the unit in person, then spending the first couple of days of your hunt scouting rather than hunting hard would help.

Master your calling, stay patient and you should be fine.

I think I speak for everyone when I say this, CWT requires post hunt photos. :P

Good luck.

-Ryan

I and three of my friends have the same tag as you. I will be doing some scouting between now and the hunt. I will probably do some archery deer hunting in there before elk season too. I am not sure exactly what area we are going to set up camp yet. You will be more than welcome to join us at our camp. I'll send you a PM. Oh yeah. Congrats on your tag!!

PM sent bwhntr. Thanks for the offer!

RAM, I can definitely post a few photos after it's over. I've never been accused of taking too few pictures on a hunt and my camera is always within reach and ready to go if something interesting pops up.. Hopefully I'll have a shot of myself with a big bull, but if not there should be plenty of other photo ops. If you run across an Outdoor Life Magazine in the next few weeks, check out the closeup of a mountain lion I got on last year's elk hunt. It's a finalist in their photo contest and will be printed in the May/June Issue. Getting that photo more than made up for coming home with yet another unfilled elk tag!

Welcome to the site and congrats on a bull tag in AZ. Good luck on your hunt. I also helped some friends last year in 6a west on a cow hunt but I never seen any bulls. If I can help I would be happy to.

i have a cabin in 6a north and will be spending the hole summer up the i spend my whole time in the hills all over 6a in genral so ill spend a couple days there and let you know wat i see but since i have a sixa south tag ill be spending most of my time there hope i can help