I spent all day yesterday in NM, scouting for the hunts. I went into some new areas mostly to see if they looked like they might hold whitetail. Since I'm running to stay in shape, I took a fanny pack, put on my running gear and ran 4 1/2 miles into one area to find a place to glass and camp. Took me just under 2 hours to make the 9 mile round trip. It's a nice way to scout an area if you're just wanting to see if it's suitable for Coues deer.

All of unit 23 is green from top to bottom, thanks to the monsoon showers. I didn't see any deer on my scouting trips but was out during the middle of the day and only had my 10's. I did see fresh tracks that had been made since the rain the day before.

I found 3 good areas to glass, one looks great all the way around, one looks really good but there's not a lot of area and the other is absolutely beautiful but looks questionable for holding Coues deer; this one may be a good muley area. Time will tell, as it cools off some I'll make some trips into these areas to glass and see whats there.

I only took video and don't have any photos as I wet my Leica down pretty good on a fishing trip and had to ship it back east for repairs.

Scott

Scott, keep us updated. I did not get drawn this year but hope to hunt in 23 one of these days.

You scout by running? Man, I thought I was doing good to get off the horse and walk a little bit.

You should try keeping up with him on a deer hunt. :lol:

"So Scott, we have to be on top of that mountain in one hour?" :angry: Can't we just glass from here? hehe ;)

I feel like Frodo trying to keep up with Gandalf

Maybe I better re-think going with you to NM, Scott!! I don't think I could run 4.5 miles cross country just to see what's over there and then run back. That's pretty impressive.

Amanda

Ah shucks guys. :angry: I've been running for quite some time to keep in shape for hunting and really do enjoy trail running. So, I figure why not incorporate a trail run and a scouting trip into one and kill two birds with one stone as it were.

It works well if I find an area that I've never been to and don't really want to hike in the dark, hunting a trail in the dark and finding a good spot to glass from in the early morning hours when I should be setup and glassing already. Going through all that trouble only to find that the canyon is too brushy or not really that great of Coues habitat.

So that's the method to my madness. Where I went yesterday, I now know the trail and where to sit to glass and even where to camp (I now have the GPS coordinates). Plus I know that it looked more muley than Couesy and can decide when or if, to go back in there and glass. All based on what I learned from that little trail run.

Amanda, as anyone who has ever hunted with me knows, my pack is very heavy and it tends to slow me down a bit. You won't have any problem keeping up. :lol:

I decided to go ahead and post some photos that came off my video camera. The quality is poor but it will give you an idea.

Here's the canyon I ran 4 1/2 miles to see. Looks great but don't know if it has any coues deer.

IMG_0509sml.jpg

IMG_0508sml.jpg

IMG_0507sml.jpg

Here's another area that looked better for Coues deer.

IMG_0505sml.jpg

Scott

Scott - That looks like some great country. Keep the pictures coming. I sent you a PM asking about the area. What part of 23 is that in? Hopefully you can give me some advice on what to expect in that area of NM. Ken

Scott,

Thanks for the photos. Gets the blood flowing in anticipation for that unit 23 hunt. I like those sloping ridges coming off the mesa in the first photo.

I just ordered a Panasonic FZ20 digital, so hopefuly I will be able to share some photos with everyone.

Doug~RR

Thanks guys. Ken I replied to your message. I'll keep y'all updated on what I find. Glad you enjoy them. Doug let me know how you like the camera.

Scott

I was in 23 last year and saw squat. We hunted near salise pass and hunted up toward Pueblo park and as far south as Glenwood. Lots of carp doe, (1 fairly big buck and was actually in unit 16) especially at Salise pass. No coues, except 1- 2pt shed. :lol: (That means nothing, due to me being an eastern WT hunter)

Oh well, good luck. I envy you. I missed out on 22 and 23. I was all ready to use Tommy's expertise/service and then somehow I misread the application and closed it out after only applying for the Burro's. Geeez.

Didn't you hunt the Burro's last year with your son? Wasn't that you?

Good luck -Shiras

Too many pine trees there in that country. Look lower :) . Nice pics, you guys are going to do awesome over there even if you hunt those unglassable thickets!! You could send the boys on down ahead of you making deer drives :lol:. Take lots of pictures.

Bret M.