Sign in to follow this  
dogman68

unit 6a elk

Sure wish I had me an elk tag for one of the 17 elk hunts that will happen this year in 6a. As anybody who hunts that unit knows, the elk quantity and quality continues to decline. The departments answer to that is to help it along even more so. Is it possible the new thinking that, "we have too many bulls and bucks" was originated by the same people who thought up photo radar? Just curious what some of you guys think that hunt the unit.

I agree Randy. They seem to be systematicly turning each unit in the state into "Recreational hunting units"... this Hunter Opportunity crap sucks! I finally saw them drop a few permits in "my" favorite unit and I was fortunate to draw a tag there as well! Very few units left where they manage for quality anymore.... I'd rather wait to draw a tag and then know that I atleast have a chance at seeing a Great bull or buck....vs.... just going to the woods to look at lots of small critters. I can go to the woods w/o a gun anytime I want to "look" at critters...

Since 6A has a vast amount of elk, I think game and fish is turning that unit into a profit unit....decrease quality but increase quantitiy, 6a is the most popular unit I believe for beginning elk hunters and for beginners quality does not matter much. Game and Fish chooses to regulate some units for trophy/quality and some units for the quantitiy. I agree with you the quality has gone down, I remember while going to NAU, we glassed up a 350/360 class bull while scouting for coues and at the time that was the biggest bull I've seen in 6a in 4 years of hanging out there.

Way too many hunts in that unit. I remember 2 or 3 yrs ago when I finally got a bull tag it was my 3rd choice on my app Nov archery hunt I had a hard time finding a weekend to go scout when there wasn't a hunt going on.

I don't know what the 'trophy potential' for 6A is, but I'm VERY glad that I have an archery bull tag for this fall. This is my first archery bull tag (I've done a couple of archery cow hunts...).

Randy and others, not to start an argument, but simply to demonstrate a different sentiment; No doubt, 17 elk hunts is a lot!!!! That being said, I am not a guide, outfitter, or 'trophy' hunter. I'm just a normal dude who has three kids and we ALL love to camp, fish, and hunt!! I love to hunt big ones & small ones!! I've never had the opportunity to hunt bull elk with a bow, and I'm grateful that I was drawn for this tag. I will take a week off of work, and I'll invite many friends & my kids to join me through-out the hunt. I am VERY confident that it will be an awesome hunt for me, whether I kill a rag horn or a 350+ bull, or nothing at all (which is probably more likely given my novice skills... ;) )!!!

I guess my point is that unfortunately for you and others who are VERY much interested in quality, the fact is that those that are looking for trophies are in the minority IMO. The majority of hunters are simply interested in being out with family and friends, and if they kill ANY legal animal, that is a great experience for them. Or if they just get to chase some legal animals around the forest, that's a great experience for them.

I truly do appreciate your sentiment that comes from your perspective, but the challenge is that it's apparently not the sentiment of most of the average joe-hacks out there.

S.

:)

I have to agree with nso my uncle took a 386 three years ago and there was a bigger bull that chased him off that mad him look like a rag horn. its like all trophy hunting you have to put in your time scouting and do some walking. On that hunt we figured to have seen around 25 to 35 bulls over 350. Hopefully ill be able to find the big boy again this year while hunting for myself :)