Sign in to follow this  

if ya see a bear, don't call it in

You say they did what they had to do. Well in my mind what they had to do was dart the bear and tag the bear and drag his fat old butt up the hill. Looks like a healthy bear that could have reproduced some more good bear. I do not think lark is far from the truth. I have set on my inlaws porch and glassed four bear with in a few hundred yards from each other in the foothills of the mountain. then we drove up to the swift trail area and saw two more. then we drove on up the hill to the campground just past the cabins and saw two bear across the canyon from us on the trail going north from the camp spots. when we got back to my truck to head back home another bear jumped up out of a drain colvert and ran right in front of the truck. that is nine bear in one day. I have not seen that many again but see them almost everytime we go up the hill to our favorite spots.

Do you think it would have been the same if a male Mexican Grey Wolf wondered into town?? I don't!

If it had been a wolf the people would have been tranquilized and relocated so as not to bother to wolf…. And then the people would have been fined for “harassing” the wolf…

Terry, yes, respect for sure! Opinions are like.... well, you know the rest! I have mine and you have yours friend! ;)

COUESAZ, I hear you. I really do! I just have a hard time with 'arm chair quarterbacking' in general. Kind of a personal hang-up of mine I suppose... :) Regarding what you said about Lark's opinion, well I suppose you're right that he is likely not far from the truth. He rarely is, and I mean that.... ;)

Rag Horn, no doubt it would be different if is was a Mexican Gray.... ;)

S.

:)

PS Terry, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on some NM youth antelope tags for the kids. Sincere thanks for your help there!! :)

Stanley i sure hope you guys draw a tag or two!! When you do have the results and they are positive get with me and i will let you know where to go in that area. Good luck buddy!!!

As soon as a public agency is notified of a bear near dwellings, with the way lawsuits are going on now, they can be held accountable for the bear's actions.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. I do not envy having to make the call on "nuisance" bears.

As soon as a public agency is notified of a bear near dwellings, with the way lawsuits are going on now, they can be held accountable for the bear's actions.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation. I do not envy having to make the call on "nuisance" bears.

Exactly...I think it's a very difficult position for AGFD which is why I don't call the bears in. I would if I thought it was really a danger to someone and acting strangely, but usually the bear will just leave on it's own.

See I guess the point I am trying to make is that they darted the bear. Threat is gone at that point. I do not see the armchairing going on here. They stated that they darted the bear twice I think so it was out cold and they hauled it off and then killed it. Now they do not say anything about it beei g a trouble maker that has struck out and needs sent to the happy acorn and prickly pear patch in the sky. So they may have had trouble with him in the past but that is not said. If they had to put him down because he was sick they should have reported that as well. That would be the end of the story. Any ways my point is once the threat is gone that should have been enough in my arm chair book of trick plays. Hahaha

when was the last time anyone was attacked by a bear in Az? last one i remember was in '78 by point of pines. a campground bear got a guy in his tent. a black bear is the biggest chicken in the woods.

Lark.

Anna K. was attacked in the 90s on Mt Lemmon, pretty sure by a bear G&F had relocated. There was also some poor bastard sleeping at Seneca in the late 90s or early 2000s that had his face chewed off after going to a drunken sleep next to the steak bones from their dinner... his buddy shot that one off of him. That's just two from my memory, so it's happened a lot since 1978. There's still no camping allowed at POP.

G&F faces tort liability for the actions of any bear they relocate... so I'm sure they do it selectively and carefully. I've been told more than once that relocating a male is almost impossible, since they often just end up back where they were, kicked along and out of other more dominant boar's territory.

I'd call in any bear I saw in town and let G&F do their job. I just wouldn't want it on my conscience if the bear went two houses down and ate some kid or attacked somebody... even accidentally, and my only logic being "He didn't act strange to me, so I didn't call it in"... JMHO.

In the woods that bear might be chicken 90% of the time, but what about Mrs. Smith who accidentally corners it in the tomato patch in the back yard? What if she's experiencing her monthly gift? I know black bears well enough to never assume I know what they'll do in a given situation, and well enough that I pack leaded .45 cal bear spray when I'm out and about.

Coyotes are the biggest chicken in the wild, and I had the urban variety sit and watch my kids play in the yard from about 30 yards down the driveway when they were 5 and 6... do you think I left them alone?