Sign in to follow this  
coues4u

How to start a salt lick???

I'm gonna start a couple salt licks here pretty soon for archery deer this year. I was wondering what methods everybody is using to start effective salt licks??? What has worked and what has not worked in the past??? For example, rather than just laying a big salt block out there I heard some guys dig a shallow hole and pour in the water softener pellets, then cover it back up with dirt and put the big salt block on top of that and smash it up into pieces with a hammer??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Then dump water on it and get the salt to start melting into the ground, may need to make a couple trips with water depending on how much salt you put down.

Water softner pellets , Deer Cocaine , Salt block they all work well but placement is the key . As far as block ? I prefer to use the brown block as it is less visible if someone happens to wander close to your stand...

placement is the key

+1, by far most important thing. Make sure there are deer in the area when you want them there (early archery season) and that they can find it. For example near, not on a game trail. The only time i use blocks is if there are elk there or i cant resalt an area often (they last longer than other stuff). Elk demolish salt like theres no tomorw. I gave up on a spot that took 2-3 50lb blocks a month. Coues will also eat dirt before they lick block most of the time. Try different stuff, ive tred lots of new stuff, most worked the same as anything else.

I'm going to get my SD cards from my cams on Tuesday. At one spot, I laid salt, next to it some special juces on a log, and infront of all of that some special stuff infront of a rock. It will all be in view of the camera, hope to post some pics, and will let you know which they prefer.