Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Help me decide which .22 rifle

I've narrowed my choices to these 3 rifles. Remington Speedmaster 552, Browning takedown semi auto and Browning Lever BL-22. They are all about the same price. Anybody have any of these? The Remington and the Browning Lever hold 15 .22 LR and shoot shorts and longs. The Browning semi auto holds 11 or 12. I like the sights better on the Remington than the Brownings.

the speedmaster is a great rifle, as long as it is the tube magazine. if you want a lever gun, look at the henry. really well built, not too expensive, very accurate. nice little rifles. don't have any experience with the brouwings. best bet is to buy em all and then decide. Lark.

I own the BL .22 and my brother owns a Henry. They were gifts , but we both agree we like the Browning because of the sights , and the finish on the Browning is incredible. I believe the finish justifies the price on the browning. I also believe the lever action doesn't get as dirty or gummed as the semi-action but I also believe that is because you just don't throw as many shots out there as you do with a semi. I think if you are buying these guns for a kid he ( or she) will like the semi better , but I believe the lever will make them a better shot. Good luck.

the speedmaster is a great rifle, as long as it is the tube magazine. if you want a lever gun, look at the henry. really well built, not too expensive, very accurate. nice little rifles. don't have any experience with the brouwings. best bet is to buy em all and then decide. Lark.

That Henry is just a fun gun to shoot and i love the feel of a lever gun, and as Lark mentioned it's a very well made rifle. JIM>

I think either Browning is an awesome choice. I like the takedown auto myself. I give my dad a gun of some sort every couple of years. I always seem to get him the ones I want someday. ;)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Browning Lever. For some reason I like the Browning rifles, especially the BAR's. So a lever would be a nice change from a semi auto. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Nice stategy CactusJack! :P

Personally, I would go with a lever gun if I were buying another .22 or maybe a gallery pump-gun. The browning lever is nice, but I like the looks of the Henry a little better - just personal preference. I've always liked the browning semi-auto take-down too - very much a classic gun, but I have 10/22 international - stainless with the full-length (Mannlicher-style) stock that goes all the way out to the end of the barrell, that it pretty much the only semi-auto .22 I'll ever want or need.

Nice of you to be putting lots of thought into a present for your dad. I'm sure he'll be very happy with whatever you choose.

I did not read anyplace that this is for his father. maybe his kids are getting a wish list from dad for what he wants for fathers day. :P

If this is a wish list for himself that is great. My list would be more like "which color socks should I ask for?" or "should I ask for the single fold wallet this year?" :blink:

This will be my present. I usually don't ask for a lot for Fathers Day. And the kids think I've been good enough to get something like this. Who else would pick them up from school, take them to softball practice, go to all their games, do their laundry etc. the list goes on. :lol: :lol: I guess it's all the stuff a dad should do. :blink: Anyway, the Browning lever is small enough the kids can shoot it too.

After many mind changes I am getting the Browning takedown semi auto. :o I've always wanted one anyway. It's shipping out today and I will have it next week, just in time for Fathers Day. :rolleyes:

10-22. There are more aftermarket parts and other stuff for these things than all other rimfires put together
I already have one of those. The kids love it too. I put a Hogue stock on it and bought some 25 rd. magazines.