Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Hunter Education Campout Weekend

I spent the weekend volunteering at a Hunter Education Campout up by Forest Lakes (east of Payson off hwy 260). Hasties Hunter Education Group put this on and several groups assisted with it (AGFD, ADA, OE4A, etc).

The goal of the camp is to take Hunter Ed one step further by getting kids out in the field to learn some real-world skills. They have already taken the regular hunter ed class, but this one gives them more info on muzzleloading, archery hunting, glassing, navigation, etc. Great instructors and a fun time. They get to practice shooting at 3-d targets out in the woods as if it was a real hunt. I think they had about 50 kids there.

I wanted to say a special thanks to CouesWhitetail.com member Larry Hampton and his boys for coming up and doing an amazing meal of smoked turkey, pork, brisket, and chicken for the Sat night dinner. Wow, smelling that meat smoking all afternoon made us all hungry! YUM! Years ago Larry offered to do a smoked meal for one of our CouesWhitetail.com gatherings and I really need to take him up on that offer.

some pics from the weekend:

post-1-1276540264.jpg

post-1-1276540286.jpg

post-1-1276540296.jpg

post-1-1276540314.jpg

post-1-1276540360_thumb.jpg

post-1-1276540368.jpg

post-1-1276540376_thumb.jpg

Looks like that was alot of fun. I got a call from Larry on Thursday and he wanted me to help him with the cooking but I had to work and wished now I would have called in sick. Larry and I have been friends for a long time. Glad everyone liked his cooking. Thanks for sharing Amanda. :)

TJ

ps.....good job Larry and a special thanks to Drew and Josh if they were there.

Can't believe that I missed this Amanda!!!!! Looks like an AWESOME time!!!!! :) :)

S.

:)

PS: Woody, Dewane, and friends are planning a Hunger Education Campout up close to Mormon lake in early August. I'll try to confirm details with him and hopefully post here.....

My kids did the one outside of flagstaff last summer. It was a blast. I learned somthing too. It was much better than the old school classroom.