Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larry

What unit for the first time AZ Coues hunter?

Guest Larry

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking for advice. This upcoming year I'm thinking about putting in for an Arizona coues deer tag and need advice where to put in for. I'll probably put in for a December hunt because I know those are the best hunts but I would love some advise on what unit to try. I'm not really looking for a monster buck just a nice buck in at least the 75 inch range. I love watching deer as well, so I would love to hunt a unit where I can see some deer and have a decent chance of tagging one. I also love to glass so I would like to hunt one of the good glassing units. Anyway, any advise or contact info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

First off do you live in AZ? If I were you I would try for a november or october tag. The december tag is more of a trophy tag and if you are happy with a 75 inch deer then I would try for the earlier hunt(its easier to get drawn) and get a Coues buck under your belt. As well as some experience with them. Pretty much any unit would be good. I'm betting all Coues units have some 80 + inch Coues. Good Luck

Guest Ernesto C

Hi Larry and welcome to the greatest web site and forum :blink: I agree with CouesFanatic; also what you can do is to check the Arizona Hunting Regulations and check the drawing odds and success rates for different units,that will give you and idea for which unit you will get a better chance to get drawn; or you can call the Az Game and Fish Dept. and order the book with the drawing and succes rates for the last five years. Hope this information is usefull to you. God bless you.

Ernesto C.

Larry,

As previously suggested, you should check with the draw odds and success rates. No harm in putting in for a December hunt first choice and November and/or October hunts for 2nd through 5th choices. Another good source of information on the units, besides the G&F website, is Dwuane Adams new book on coues hunting. Generally, I'd think you would be better trying for one of the southern units, rather than a central or northern unit like 6a where the deer densities are lower and the terrain more brushy/treed. Avoid units where private property can limit opportunities; these are mentioned in Adams' book and on g&f website.

Doug/RedRabbit

I would look at azgf.com and check out the southern units like everyone has said. Then find out which units have what you want, IE: camping, types of campgrounds, accessability, and so on. Also another good idea would be to get topo maps of areas you are interested in and checking out the terrain, It can go from a nice walk in the forest to a cliffhanger instantly in AZ, especially in the southern part. So look for places you would feel comfortable hunting in. Also, I do not know where you are from but in southern AZ it can be 30 degrees in the morning, up to high 70s in afternoon, then back down in 30s by dark, so be prepaired. But for the most part most of AZ southern units have good coues numbers in them, and some monster bucks, so anywhere south is usually good.

hope this info helps GOOD LUCK

Guest Larry

When you guys says southern AZ, do you mean units 34, 35, 36 only, or would you include 31, 32, and 33 in that list?

I've heard that any of the 36 units are some of the best in the state.

KP

I think units 29, 36 and 32 would be good units. I would avoid 30B due to low Coues deer densities. I hunted that unit once and didn't really enjoy it. 30A could be really good in the Peloncillos, but I haven't been in there. It just looks like good country for Coues.

Here is a link to the draw odds that I have posted on my site: Draw odds - AZ rifle

Check those out and look at the survey data which I have posted: Survey data

On those pages I give info on how to use the data to figure out which units to hunt. That stuff should help you out.

Amanda

Hey Larry,

Another option is to become a member of the Huntin Fool Magazine. It is designed for out of state hunters applying for other states in the West. It goes over all the Western States individually, draw odds, best trophy potential, best units, etc.

www.huntinfool.com

Good Luck

Send me an email and i will give you my opinion.

Jason

Larry,

You should consider getting a copy of Duwane and Tony's "How to Hunt Coues deer" book. It has lots of info about where to hunt in each unit. And advice on whether the units have good bucks in them or not.

Here is a link to where you can buy the book from this website: How to Hunt Coues Deer book

I personally haven't hunted 34 or 35, but I think that 34A and B should be good. They have the Santa Rita Mtns and the Whetstones. I have been on Fort Huachuca (35A) and there is some great Coues habitat there. But you pretty much have to be military to hunt there. 35B should be good in the Patagonia Mtns and the Canelo Hills. But Duwane (in his book) says the success has been low there and that unless you have the December hunt you many not want to try that unit.

Amanda

nobody said anything about 31, Ive hunted there a lot and seen some great bucks, in fact that was where I killed my first arcery deer back when I was 13. Most of Mt Graham has good deer on it except around the major campgrounds, way too many people there from march to november. But, if you get away from the people you can do good.

good luck everyone

Guest Mike

I enjoy hunting unit 32 and 22. If you are patient and have some good binoculars you can find nice bucks in most all units. The Galiuro mountains have a high concentration of whitetail in unit 32.