Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

New rifle question

hey, you're the one with the dad uncle granpa.

i was just worryin' about you mere mortals bein' able to handle kick. my oldest son had a tikka in ,270 wsm. it barked him pretty hard. he put a simms on it and it seemed to smooth it our ok. actually, after you have a complete prosthetic shoulder installed, like i did, you notice recoil. my .300 has a brake and a simms and it is calmed way down. but when i need to do a lot of shooting, like in a sight in, i take my youngest boy with me to take the most part of the beatin'. after he gets it close, then i finish it off.

now shut up and get to practicin' that banjo. you got a family reunion comin' up and you ain't got a chance at all o' gettin' a girlfriend there if you can't play oh susanna. Lark.

DB,

Regarding the Winchesters, I would be leary of the ones stamped NewHaven, CT. The newer ones made in SC have better QC.

If you are looking for a lighter gun to carry around and already have the LR setup, how about a wood-stocked Kimber in 308, 708 or 257Roberts?

i don't own one of the newest ones, but have several of the new havens. haven't had a bit of trouble with them. they are still a pretty well made rifle. anything made with the full length extractor seem to be well built rifles. the ones with the little clip extractor, i wouldn't own one. the new ones made in sc seem to be nice rifles, but they still have the same bolt as their immediate predecessor. i hoped they were going to go back to something like the original pre 64's. i have a .264 and .300 that i shoot a lot and both have been real good. shot the barrel outta the .300 and had to have it replaced, but that ain't the guns fault. Lark.

I have 2 New Havens ... have not had a problem with them either. However, I did read in several articles where the QC was not as good in the bedding and so on. That could be true ... not sure. Both of mine shoot well enough stock, and I've got plans to spend some money customizing them in the near future. It is definitely a great action to start on. The Rem 700 is more popular due to its simplicity for sure, but if you're a Mauser type guy, its hard to make that move.

As far as the new Winchesters made by FN go, I have heard nothing but rave reviews ... great QC, great trigger, etc. In fact, I was selling my Kimber 8400 in .300 Win Mag to buy a new Supergrade in .300 Win Mag. The Kimber shot well, but didn't seem as well built or reliable as my Winchester .30-06, and the only reason I got the Kimber was because Winchester was no longer making the M70. Then I stumbled on a M70 Classic Action in .300 RUM ... had to buy it. Something about a good CRF Action in that caliber really drew me in. I might end up regretting it, but I doubt it. The other one I'd look at is the CZ550. I have one in 22-250 and it is an absolute TACK DRIVER. Can't say I like the double set trigger, but the action is a "BULLET PROOF" Mauser style and it has been way better than MOA accuracy at the range.

I'm with Lark on the .300WM vs .300WSM. In factory ammo they are about the same, but in handloading I think the .300WM has a pretty significant edge. Of course if you want weight reduction, the shorter action helps. But then I'd probably go to a .260 REM or 7-08 unless I planned on using it for elk. Good rounds with decent ballistics and light recoil. Might be on the light side for Bull Elk though???

I own a Winchester in .300 WSM and absolutely love it. Nothing wrong with any of the other manufacturers mentioned but I prefer the Winchester. Mine is about 7 3/4 lbs. with scope and it is more pleasant to shoot than my Win. Featherweight in 30-06. My .300 WSM shoots better than I can.

Lee

I have the Tikka T3 lite in 7mm. Great rifle good shooter and kicks like a mule. But it weighs in at 7 lbs loaded with scope so its nice to pack. The recoil sucks but you only have to fire once a hunt.