Sign in to follow this  
redline410

Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer

To begin, there is no perfect pack. Like anything else its gotta work for you- I had determine what was most importanat to me and and after months of research I decided on the Dragon Slayer by Mystery Ranch.

post-825-1280704374_thumb.jpg

My number one factor was comfort- I'm built like a trekking pole with shoulders and until now I had not been able to find a pack that didn't either destroy my hips or my shoulders. I have to say, no matter what pack you have- if it doesn't have a yoke adjustment, throw it away. Until you get a pack that fits right, you have know idea what you've been missing.

post-825-1280704388.jpg

The Dragon Slayer is a 2300cu/in internal frame pack. The lid of the pack has two stacked zippered compartments. The top pocket is relatively small but compartmented (if thats even a word) to hold a mini-flash lights, calls, GPS or any other quick need items.

post-825-1280704398_thumb.jpg

the lower lid pocket is large and has a mesh bottom. Not entirely sure what the purpose of that is but gloves, hats, knifes fill the space well.

The Y-zipper configuration is brilliant. makes everything easily accessible. It is hydration bladder compatible, if you so desire. and laid out with a mesh pocket, sleeve pocket and long pockets on each flap.

post-825-1280704410.jpg

Down side to the pocket configuration for me is I like everythinng to have a place- i'd like a few more individual pockets but the MOLLE webbing panel allows some freedoms with the number of pouches available in the market place.

So you never REALLY know how a pack will perform until you stress it and yourself- Since this past Saturday was the first July day that I can remember that would allow a grinder without ultimate death I took advantage of it. The pack weighed in at 30lbs which included everything I'd take on a hunt and a few extra items just to have. The hike ended up being slightly over 6 miles with a 1600' elevation jump in the first 1.34 mi.

view from the truck to the peak

post-825-1280704424_thumb.jpg

A 1/2 mile in, a cedar tree started barking at me and these little fellas were eyeing me

post-825-1280704435_thumb.jpg

Then mama roostered up and had every intention jamming her bug diggers into my eye sockets- and loud, sweet mother of god

post-825-1280704447.jpg

She followed me around the tree yelling the whole way until I was out of sight- I guess if I had five kids, I'd be a littel cranky too so I don't blame her

post-825-1280704458.jpg

After narrowly escaping with my life I pushed on and was greeted with this view from the top.

post-825-1280704468_thumb.jpg

The reason I picked this run was a spring I had stumbled onto in a registery and it didn't disappoint

post-825-1280704478_thumb.jpg

As with most everywhere, someone always has been there before you

post-825-1280704488.jpg

The pack performed flawlessly- I haven't had a pack on in 6 months so when conditioning begins my shoulders and/or hips take a few days to recover. I woke up this morning with only aching calves. It floats while its on with zero pressure points and definatley has the capacity to more than handle your gear plus any deer sized game (boned or quartered). i'd wager an elk quarter wouldn't put up much of fight if you can get it tied on. Mystery Ranch has a reputation for being expensive and if you are looking into the pack frame systems yes they are. their internal frame packs however are comparable to most decent off the shelf packs but the quality of it is second to none. Whether hunting or hiking this pack is no joke- it'll make that last mile so much easier.

Dave

post-825-1280704497.jpg

Thanks for the report. Looks like you had a great time. Very cool pictures of those coatis!

Thanks for the write up. I am trying to decide between that pack and the Bighorn. I looks like yours does not have the live wing waistbelt option, correct? If not, would you get that if doing over again?

Great pictures.

Mike

Thanks for the write up. I am trying to decide between that pack and the Bighorn. I looks like yours does not have the live wing waistbelt option, correct? If not, would you get that if doing over again?

Great pictures.

Mike

Mike- just based on dimesnions, the Bighorn and the Dragon Slayer seem to be the same pack. the extra cubes appear to come from the stuff panel and the live wing waist belt is standard on the Big Horn. You can't go wrong with that dude either. had I been able to get it without the live wing I may have gone that way too.

The standard waist belt for me is perfect. They ask for your waist size when ordering and I initially though it was for the length of the belt. What it is for though is to fit the padded portion of the belt to your hip bones. The Live Wing up grade just seems bulky for what I plan to do with this pack. the standard belt gives you padding where you need it and nothing more. I could be totally wrong but, as much bending as Im forced to do when negotiating some hill sides it seems having extra padding on the abdomen would limit some of my movement. That being said, I may max my pack out one day and wish I had that extra padding but the way the standard waist belt performed, I can see my legs giving out under a larger load before my hips do.

Dave,

Thanks for the detailed response. How long did it take them to make it for you after you ordered it?

Mike

Dave,

Thanks for the detailed response. How long did it take them to make it for you after you ordered it?

Mike

It doesn't take long Mike- I got mine in a week. I originally ordered the multicam pattern but it was on a 6-8 week back order. I didn't have time to wait for the material to arrive so I went with the Coyote Brown- since it wasn't what I originally ordered they ate the shipping fee and upgraded it to second day.....in the end, I like the brown a little better anyway.

Dave

I love this pack but it seems it's been discontinued, I was looking at the Front pack which seems to be the Dragon Slayer's baby brother for scouting and light day trips