Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Gorgonzola cheese and grilled onion venison burgers

Thought I would share this meal with you all since it's a first for me. I don't usually cook with gorgonzola cheese, but picked some up the other day at trader joes, along with some creme fraiche (fancy french sour cream). Gorgonzola is a little like blue cheese but not so strong. My husband loves blue cheese on his burgers and we were out so I thought this was a good substitute.

Yesterday I made a bunch of venison sausage and mixed up a batch that had worcestershire sauce, wine, oregano, roasted garlic, black pepper and some hot chili powder. I used that as burger meat for tonight and my hubby smoked the burgers on the grill and grilled a bunch of onions with it. Then I took the grilled onion and put them in a pan and mixed in some gorgonzola cheese crumbles and some creme fraiche to make a nice cheesey onion sauce. We put the onion sauce on the burgers and WOW it was TASTEY!! I should have put some mushrooms in that sauce too!

here are some pics:

post-1-1280808404_thumb.jpg

post-1-1280808397_thumb.jpg

You made my mouth water when you sent me that pic Amanda!

For those of you not sure about Gorgonzola, it's what I call a "green" vein cheese as opposed to blue like bleu cheese. (but that's just my take on it, it is actually a blue cheese) I love cooking with it and makes great sauces like Amanda's here. Great for adding to a cream sauce for a pasta for instance, along with some prosciutto! Stuffing a filet Mignon and wrapping it in bacon is a sure crowd-pleaser of mine!

I love it's nutty flavor and slight spiciness. If you are not a fan, don't give up until you try it melted or heated up. It takes on an entirely mellow characteristic.

I Love It!

Thanks for the tips Chef.....I am going to keep messing with it to see other ways that I like it. I am not a big fan of really strong cheeses, but like you said, Gorgonzola is different when melted and it's actually very nice. My husband LOVED it! It's real easy to make a cream sauce with it.