muledeerarea33?

long long distance shooting

Last year I shot my elk at 638 yards. I do not tell people that face to face because I know they won't believe me. I load all of my own bullets and shoot 4-5 times a week. The only scopes I use are the Burris ballistic plex scopes. I have a 3X9 on my .280 and a 4.5X14 on my 300. I practice 200-540 yards. The elk dropped right in his tracks. The bullet entered high lung and then totally severed his spinal cord (I was shooting up hill). In order to shoot these distances you must have an ultra steady rest and total confidence in your shot or risk injuring an animal. I also shot my coues last year @ 298 yards and to me it was a tougher shot than the elk.

CNE ELK, No I don't know what you would have to shot your .243 at 25yrds to make it on the paper at 1000yrds. I got this info from a buddy of mine that shoots and builds 1000yrd. guns. If you really want to know I could give him a call and find out for you.

Guest Ernesto C

You know,like I said before,if you feel confident that you can make the shot,if you know you are going to hit the vitals,if you know that deer is going to be death within seconds......go for it.

What I think is very important and vital is to match the caliber to the game your are hunting.

For example,and I dont want to ofend any one,in my opinion shoting a deer with a 243 caliber at 400 yards or more.................mmmmm I dont know......is that ethical? There is a deer at 500 yards facing or quartering towards you and lets say you can make the shot becuase the marging for error is big or even worst wounding an animal;will that 243 bullet will penetrate all the way to the vitals?or that bullet will brake the shoulder blade and then enter the vitals?

It is our duty as responsible hunters to make a humane,fast and clean shot,that's the ethical and rigth thing to do or it will be ok if I go and hunt elk with a 222 caliber? It may not be against the law,but .......is that the ethical thing to do?

I mentioned before that there is not such a thing as over kill,dead is dead;that's why we should use a caliber that even when conditions are not right that deer will go down,of course you must reach the vitals,that should be our final and only goal when shoting at game.

Like I said,nothing against any one and specially the 243 fans,is just my opinion which it means it does not have to be right,just my two cents,if you dont like them trash them out just .......dont hate me :rolleyes: Love you all God bless.

Ernesto C

Accountability means being responsible for your actions

Ernesto,

You speak the truth brother :)

If you are going to shoot long distance, say over 350yds, use enough gun on big game. I'd say .270 cal and up with a well constructed bullet on our deer species.

That .243 is a heck of a deer caliber but when taking a long shot cross canyon you can't always tell what the wind is going to do to that little bullet at 400,500 or 600yds.

I know alot of guys who shoot lighter bullets for more speed and flatter trajectory. I choose to shoot a little heavier 160gr bullet in my 7mmstw because it bucks the wind better and hits harder.

I also wonder for every long shot the kills how many wound :rolleyes:

Bottom line is practice, practice and practice and use the right tool for the job.

Hunterdude, can you tell me what to set a .243 for at 25 yard so that I would be on the paper at 1000 yards? I think I will be shooting Hornady BTSP 100 grain. I know that I have got to get the range and practice some long distance shooting. I will be down in 36C in Dec. Appreciate the help.

Thanks

CNE ELK, the calculations for your 100 gr Hornady BTSP show that for a 1000 yd zero, you would be 7.27" high at 25 yds.

that doesnt seem quite high enough to me kelbro? for a 243 at 1000 yards?

Yep. Kinda far-fetched but that's how it calculates. The energy left at 1000 yds is

340 ft/lbs and the velocity is 1237.7 fps! The top of the arc is at ~575 yds and at that point it is 118.53" high!

Here's the plot:

post-766-1128569618.jpg

Guest Ernesto C

Man just make sure between you and those 1000 yards there is no airplane flying :lol:

Ernesto C

Make sure of your target and what's above,below and beyond

The charts show just how high the arc of the bullet would have to be as well as how far off you would be if you misjudged the distance by 50 yds either way. Something to think about before you try that long, long shot.

If you have a particular load that you would like to see a chart on, tell me which bullet you're using, the muzzle velocity, and the distance between the crosshair center and the center of your bore. I can post the chart but I would have to e-mail the ballistics table to you. The table shows velocity, energy, mommentum, drop, and time of flight. Just for reference, here's the chart for the .308. Not much different than the .243 is it?

post-766-1128604306.jpg

Thanks Kelbro for the info. My intention was not to get into a ethical debate of taking an animal with a .243 at 1000 yards. I think that reasonable and responsible hunters will stay within their skills while hunting. Just sounded like some information that was interesting. Hopefully if anything, it will make those of us that use a .243 to see what is and what is not within an ethical range. Your chart points it out exactly. So for all my CWT brothers and sisters, I hearby promise not to calulate in the field any ballistics that would endanger any low flying border patroling aircraft. 70+ days until my hunt. Still time to practice my 300 yard shots at the range. This is one hunter that knows his limits. Thanks guys. :lol:

Back in my match shooting days in the Marine Corps, we used to practice on 20" bulls at 500 yds. prone with iron sights with our M16's (.223) My match coach was a national champion with rifle and pistol and they used M14's (7.62mm) at 1000 yds. with iron sights. Al that long range stuff isn't all that bad though because your prone. The hardest one for me was 10 rounds at 200 yds. standing with no sling and iron sights on a 12" bull. That is a challenge. For pistols at Marine corps matches we had to use .45's with one hand the longest being 25 yds. Thats a BI!#H!!!

OK, I'm done braggin' now :lol:

Donnie